My descent into Vintage!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! Thanks. I just slapped it on there for the pic. But you never know... This is my first double hose.

Great News everyone! Both tanks passed Hydro! Looking forward to this project.

A question about the tanks. I think they are 50's or 52's but I'm not 100% sure. They are Norris tanks with a 6.9" Diameter.

Anyone know for sure what they were, and were they 50 whatever at 2250 psi or at the + rating?

Thanks
Have a good day.

Ok. For what it's worth...I emailed XS Scuba and asked about a run of valves.

They emailed me back and they are looking at what the minimum order would be for 1/2" straight thread o-ring sealed valves to do a limited run. Sportsways and White Stag used this size for a short period of time. I've seen quite a few nice 72's with these valves for a good price because people don't want the weird size.

I'll let you know what I hear and may start another thread to gauge interest. We might have enough to get an order going.

Great News everyone! Both tanks passed Hydro! Looking forward to this project.

A question about the tanks. I think they are 50's or 52's but I'm not 100% sure. They are Norris tanks with a 6.9" Diameter.

Anyone know for sure what they were, and were they 50 whatever at 2250 psi or at the + rating?

Thanks
Have a good day.
The steel 50's I have sold by US Divers in 1969 are 1800 PSI

Don't have a real good pic of the 1/2" straight o-ring valve/manifold on my 1963 Sportsways, but here are a few gratitutious shots I can show off. :)

dBfbog.jpg

rBFghS.jpg

2YPlon.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Aqua-Craft or someone at some point made an adaptor to put a 1\2" valve in a 3\4" tank. I' not saying I would actually use one...
I have seen those adapters but I'm talking about valves for tanks that have 1/2" straight threads not 3/4" necks.

Update!
First off, both tanks passed hydro and are being tumbled and the manifold is being rebuilt. All great news. Also the local shop jumped at the chance to work on the vintage set and wants me to show up when they have a class going in the water .

Second, I just broke apart the DAAM that I got as a part of this deal and it looks great. The duck bill is rotten/gooey as was expected but ALL the other rubber pieces are in great shape. I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild and dive this reg with the original parts. I could probably turn the high pressure seat over and be good to go.

I'm not sure this reg has ever been in the water. If it was it was only fresh water. I'm really excited to get this thing diving. Maybe for the first time.

The following pictures are from when I opened it up. No cleaning whatsoever. I think I'm good to go on the rebuild. I'll keep you all posted.

Attachments

• 20191130_225711.jpg
    20191130_225711.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 20191130_230009.jpg
    20191130_230009.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20191130_230315.jpg
    20191130_230315.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 277

Back
Top Bottom