My descent into Vintage!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of rebuild tips for you.
That reg does not appear to have been touched since being built. If you look at the second stage you will see the standoffs have been slightly bent above the lever. Carefully straighten them before removal and once off you can straighten them more. Be careful doing this as replacements are difficult to come by. DO NOT re-bend them later, this was done at the factory but is unnecessary. Once you have them off, file off any burrs caused by the bending. The brass nut on the LP seat has been staked to the seat holder, many times the nut will not come off and if you try you will end up breaking the stem if you try to remove it directly. It is best to first remove the assembly by working a screwdriver under the lever and remove the 2 screws that hold the lever supports, remove the lever and supports. With the lever off, you can remove the LP seat assembly. I would suggest you replace the entire thing with a HPR since no 2 stage reproduction main diaphragms are currently available. You really should replace the main diaphragm if you intend to dive the reg and the HPR is much easier to set up. If you choose to reuse it, start by trying to turning the nut IN, gently rocking it back and forth to work out the stakes. If you can get it to work loose and off, great, if not, then turn it in as far as you can, it will usually go in but not off. With a 5-40 (this thread is NOT 4-40) die clean up the threads. Remember, the stem Is brass and easily broken. The good news is new LP stems are available now, back in the day if you broke it, the reg was toast.

The update to an HPR second stage is just simply the best and smartest thing you can and should do....

Morning all, I'm really excited about how clean this reg is inside.

I already have the HPR, diaphragm, silicone hose loop, and mouthpiece. I plan on keeping all the original parts sealed up in good condition just because I need to store more stuff around the house.

Any way way to preserve the original rubber in storage? It's not rotted at all right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom