Presecription mask lenses ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear monthly multi-focal contacts, they are kind of like bi focals. I leave them in for the week or weekend I'm diving. I prefer them because you can still see when you take off your mask, prescription masks are expensive, the model they offer may not fit your face properly, you will have to replace the lenses every time your prescription changes. ACUVUE OASYS® Multifocal for PRESBYOPIA (2-Week) Contact Lenses

Now that I’m over 40 I’ve needed readers for my mask. I used seethesearx.com I was very happy. They did both of my masks

Edit: they sell masks or put lenses in yours. I had them add them to mine.

I bought a prescription mask for snorkeling before I started diving from Deep Blue. You can see it on my picture to the left. It was fairly inexpensive, it never fogs and other than an uncomfortable pressure point on my forehead (which I barely notice while in the water) they fit just fine. Also, I never have more than a few drops of water get in even though I have a mustache.

I have spent a lot of time in the last year looking into options for a new mask with 'scrip lenses. Because I am farsighted there are few options for OTC masks with replaceable lenses. Tusa makes one with lenses in my strength, available from Amazon, but I returned the mask because it was smaller than my Deep Blue and I really want larger. It looks like my only other option is to order through one of the custom lens outfits that others have mentioned, but they are pretty expensive. For the time being I'm sticking with what I have.

I bought a prescription mask from prescriptiondivemasks.com. I got the XS Scuba Fusion with bifocals and am very happy with the results. I can see distance and my dive computer really well. The mask has a single pane of glass in the front, and the prescription lens are attached to the inside glass. The mask is also very comfortable, fits well, and doesn't push on my nose.

Initially I used a regular tusa mask that fit well because I didn't have time to sort out a prescription mask while doing my OW. I'm pretty used to the world being blurry so it wasn't a huge deal and I used my camera to 'see' things that were too far or blurry for me to make sense of. It would've been nice seeing what I was 'seeing' when I saw it but I made the best of it for a bit.
About a year later I got a prescription dive mask (seavision) and I absolutely love it. My LDS had a few demo models that I could try out for fit and the mask I ended up with fits perfectly and was custom made for my prescription so it's perfect under water and I rarely have leak issues (if I do it's because my hair got in).
My dive buddy/spouse got the same mask and his leaks a bit but he likes how well they correct for his much worse vision underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom