Cayman airline connection logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not send your bags with the folks who will for sure get there 1st, then all you have to do is haul arse to your connecting flight?

That's the plan - at least to the point where I don't put them at risk of baggage limits. I've emailed the Meet and Greet people as well - figure all I can do is set everything possible up to give me the best chance (carry on only, front of the plane, waitlist for the better flight, check in before leaving, etc.) and then hope for the best. Even if I get stranded, it's not like I'd be in Cleveland or something. (Apologies to Cleveland natives.)

I’d pay for the meet and greet. When we landed on grand cayman we were 50 feet from the jet but we had to walk through the airport, customs, claim baggage walk four block recheck in and go through security again. The meet and greet people held the connecting plane for an hour to get us on. The meet and greet people let you budge in line also. The only hitch was that I had to tell the airport personal when I landed that I was meet and greet.

I’m sure everyone was on the edge of their seat but I thought I’d report how the connection went. The meet and greet was a huge timesaver and we made our connection. Probably saved 30 minutes on the customs line and they went and found someone to do check-in at the Cayman Air desk when that line wasn’t moving at all. Would absolutely do again, as would another couple in the group with the same connection who did it as well.

Of course, then we got stranded on Cayman Brac when the plane to Little Cayman broke down. I think the review holds though :)

I’m sure everyone was on the edge of their seat but I thought I’d report how the connection went. The meet and greet was a huge timesaver and we made our connection. Probably saved 30 minutes on the customs line and they went and found someone to do check-in at the Cayman Air desk when that line wasn’t moving at all. Would absolutely do again, as would another couple in the group with the same connection who did it as well.

Of course, then we got stranded on Cayman Brac when the plane to Little Cayman broke down. I think the review holds though :)

I am so glad that you made the flight and that the Meet and Greet was worth the expense and I am so annoyed with Cayman Airways - they really do need to buy new equipment and have better back up plans for the Sister Island flights!

Did you make it over to LC or are you still on CB? If you are stuck on Brac that means that there are also people stuck on LC that are trying to get to Grand Cayman to make their connecting flights home - and Reef Divers at the LCBR and CBBR may be able to offer assistance, see the thread at the link below:

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/stranded-cayman-airline-passengers-take-to-the-sea-but-theres-more-to-this-story.587341/

I hope that you have a great trip on Little Cayman, please post a report after you return!

I am so annoyed with Cayman Airways - they really do need to buy new equipment and have better back up plans for the Sister Island flights!

Maybe a different island next year? I'm kidding. :D :D :D

They only stranded us on Brac for one night - they put us up in some random condos, then sent us to the CBBR for dinner. Was a good group - mostly divers and two locals. Made it out the next day without issue - missed the first two dives of the day (and was so rushed and flustered in the afternoon that the dive was kind of a bust.) Reef Divers made up one of the missed dives in an afternoon.

Great week of diving overall - definitely lived up to our expectations. So nice to see healthy reefs and not too many lion fish. Our group had a whole boat which definitely helped.

All packed up and headed home. Fingers crossed for Cayman air again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom