Georgia diver collapses dead - Juno Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on board and it was a shocking day. I didn’t know Jim before but did get a chance to talk to him before we got on board and he was a friendly and funny kindred spirit. The boat crew was outstanding and professional in every respect and my fellow divers did a great job helping Jim. I would like to learn more about this accident if anything helpful can be shared. My thoughts are with Jim’s family and friends. I am truly sorry for your loss.

I was on the boat the day of the death. When the diver came up 10 minutes after getting in the water (I don't think he was diving with a buddy), the two people on the boat were the deck hand and captain. They did everything they could using the AED and compressions. Once others got on the boat, a couple other people took over. I'd never seen the man before probably because he was from out of town. The JDC employees and the people who assisted were very professional. All of the divers stayed calm and gave spade to people trying to revive the diver. I think most of us were in a bit of shock. A very sad day for everyone.

Sad trip for all of you who were there. I've seen many leave the dock in ambulances, but they all survived.

Really, from the news story, we can't tell if the fall with his head hitting is what killed him, or if he was dying so he fell. I was wondering if anyone on the boat could actually tell if he had a problem before the fall or not?
I was on the boat the day of the death. When the diver came up 10 minutes after getting in the water (I don't think he was diving with a buddy), the two people on the boat were the deck hand and captain.
The article says he "did not indicate any signs of distress when he surfaced from the water. He swam back to the boat, climbed up the ladder and stepped onto the boat. Witnesses told detectives that he then stood up and collapsed, striking his head on the deck floor." Now this sounds otherwise. Would you mind telling more? I guess you were still below when this all started.

I was on the boat the day of the death. When the diver came up 10 minutes after getting in the water (I don't think he was diving with a buddy), the two people on the boat were the deck hand and captain. They did everything they could using the AED and compressions. Once others got on the boat, a couple other people took over. I'd never seen the man before probably because he was from out of town. The JDC employees and the people who assisted were very professional. All of the divers stayed calm and gave spade to people trying to revive the diver. I think most of us were in a bit of shock. A very sad day for everyone.

Do i understand you correctly that the diver had only been in the water for a few minutes (10minutes) when he returned to the boat?

Do i understand you correctly that the diver had only been in the water for a few minutes (10minutes) when he returned to the boat?
Yes, according to the deck hand and captain.

Sad trip for all of you who were there. I've seen many leave the dock in ambulances, but they all survived.

Really, from the news story, we can't tell if the fall with his head hitting is what killed him, or if he was dying so he fell. I was wondering if anyone on the boat could actually tell if he had a problem before the fall or not?

The article says he "did not indicate any signs of distress when he surfaced from the water. He swam back to the boat, climbed up the ladder and stepped onto the boat. Witnesses told detectives that he then stood up and collapsed, striking his head on the deck floor." Now this sounds otherwise. Would you mind telling more? I guess you were still below when this all started.
Yes, I was still below when it happened. The divemaster and I were the last ones to board. When I got onboard he was being given compressions and the AED was being used. What is written above is what I understand to be accurate.

Yes, I was still below when it happened. The divemaster and I were the last ones to board. When I got onboard he was being given compressions and the AED was being used. What is written above is what I understand to be accurate.

To me, speculation only, he returned because wasn't feeling well.

I'm wondering what was in his tank, for one thing.

I am with Chilly that a 10 minute dive sounds suspicious for a problem during the dive and I can not envision a traumatic brain injury that would cause cardiac death with in minutes. Possibly with a spinal fracture secondary to head trauma but I think even that is a long shot.

I dove with Jim several times, as did others at Kraken Springs. Always a super nice guy. He had 2 daughters whom I had met when they came out to the quarry with him. Horrible, horrible news.

Back
Top Bottom