Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know how fast the boat was going, or what the speed limit is in that area. The reports cited have the divers 100 yds off shore, and I assume he was parallel to the shore since there are no inlets there. I also had no idea the skipper of the boat knew it was a popular snorkeling area.

Bob
There is no speed limit in that area that I know of. The vast majority of Palm Beach Island is private beaches in front of mansions. There is almost never anybody on those beaches. The exception is the odd hotel, private club & occasional public access beach. All three are very much the exception, rather than the rule in that area. Palm Beach Island beaches have been 90+% uninhabited anytime that I have been there & I'm there a lot. 98% uninhabited is not unusual.

Boats going south often run near the beach to stay out of the prevailing north currents & heavier seas that are typical further out. Yellow fins carry little weight & do not cut a chop particularly well. 100 yards out is closer than normal. Usually the chop is building again by the time you are that close.

Isn't is reasonable to requre that the offending boat be siezed and destroyed, if a person has been struck by it? This should in no way reduce the liability of the person driving the boat.
This might make boat drivers better behaved if they realized that the bank that loaned them the money for the boat would sieze the collateral (house) if the boat is confiscated.

Michael
Are cars seized & destroyed after a fatal accident?

Are cars seized & destroyed after a fatal accident?
Actually if the driver at fault was grossly negligent, the usual course is imprisonment along with a several year prohibitation on having a driver's license. If the exdriver moves out of state other states are informed of the prohibitation. Cars would be seized if used in the comission of a crime.

If you drink and drive, you'll be able to be drunk in the passenger seat for several years.

Michael

Not in this way. Boaters are fined far less for a flag violation than a diver... I think it's about half. The problem isn't the size of the flag, it's the phone they have their nose buried in. Distracted driving, whether in a car or on a boat, should be a felony. You should never be too broke to pay attention!

As for the flag, a bigger flag makes it even harder for the dive flag puller when there's a stiff wind. We don't need to discourage diving. The real problem is that if you the flag and the wind are in a line, then you're presented with only the edge of the flag. I had an FWC stop to chastise me because he never saw my flag until he got close. He was LOOKING too, but he didn't notice it until he got within twenty feet. We need a 3D flag that has no drag. Impossible? Probably.

The line provides more drag than the float. The flag will be parallel to the wind and cause little or no drag. 40# braided fishing line has the same diameter as 12# monofilament fishing line. The virtually eliminates line drag.

Thanksgiving day is usually quiet for boating. Fourth of July is tougher with distractions to newer boaters. They just aren't looking and scanning the water.
Trust your dive boat Captains,,they know how to use their boat inbetween another vessel to protect their divers.
Trust your dive boat captain..... VIDEO: Man thrown from boat in Boynton Beach Inlet

I just wish that manatees could talk and tell us about their experiences with reckless boat drivers and propeller accidents - and they don't have the option to haul a dive flag around.

The line provides more drag than the float.
I've used a 3D flag twice. The second time, I was being dragged against the current by the wind. If you really want one, I'll sell you mine. It's better suited for a boat.

A GoFundMe site has been set up for Carter Viss to help raise money for his recovery, see link below.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/1tsvg06e00

His mother has reported on CaringBridge that the doctors are pleased with the tissue health of his legs and they will proceed with surgeries next week.

Carter is a friend of mine, and I'm devastated by what's happened to him. He is an employee at Loggerhead Marinelife Center and I'm a volunteer. I've known Carter since he started at LMC. He is a wonderful young man who is kind, sweet, and smart. He loves diving/snorkeling, fishing, playing music, etc. He was snorkeling with one of his best friends at LMC, and that best friend is a hero in my book. When he saw what happen, he immediately got to Carter and assisted getting him to shore. From what you've read, Carter has very serious injuries. His parents live in Denver and will be going back in forth for many months while Carter recovers. A gofundme site has been set up to help with expenses. If you are so inclined, please help Carter and his family out by donating. It'll be the best Christmas gift they will receive. If that's not possible, please include Carter and his family in your prayers. Here is the gofundme site for Carter:

Click here to support Carter Viss Recovery Funds organized by Levi Viss

This horrible accident occurred on Thanksgiving Day and I heard about it on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. On Friday afternoon, I was on the JDC dive boat where a diver passed away (God rest his soul). This is the first time I've experienced a death on a dive boat. The last few days have been pretty hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom