15l tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides - the marina is so entertaining, morning and afternoon. It’s nice to have the lazy stroll out the dock for pickup, but a beer with the boys at 8am is like nothing else!

3316d063fd23fcd471c69f7f04c807b7.jpg

I used AL100's (Nx) on my August 2019 trip with Blue Angel. I just checked my dive logs and 10 dives averaged fills of 3124 psi. I am a big guy in great shape (64 yrs young) and I can be a bit of a gas hog.
It may have been an oversight, but Blue Angel did not charge me anything extra for the AL1OO'S. All they added was the Nx fee and I think it was an additional $10.

I used AL100's (Nx) on my August 2019 trip with Blue Angel. I just checked my dive logs and 10 dives averaged fills of 3124 psi. I am a big guy in great shape (64 yrs young) and I can be a bit of a gas hog.
It may have been an oversight, but Blue Angel did not charge me anything extra for the AL1OO'S. All they added was the Nx fee and I think it was an additional $10.

3124 is still lower than 3300 operating pressure, but better than the typical Merry-D. Does Blue Angel fill their own?

As a pilot, there’s nothing worse than the altitude above you, the runway behind you and the gas you left on the ground.

As a diver, nothing worse than the air you left on the surface. I’m not an air hog, but not as good as my buddy (wife), so I’m looking for about 15-20 minutes more air time.

I’m healthy, in great shape, ride and lift daily, but I have large lungs and a 50” chest....lots of air to feed:)

Thanks for your responses.

When in Cozumel, I carry a 13 cuft pony.
If conditions are good, I consider it to be enough gas for me to ascend with at the end of the dive.
Rather than ascending at the 1000 psi point, I am comfortable with 600psi or even 500psi if the dive ends shallower than 50 ft.
This extends my bottom time by at least 10 min. every dive.
It's not why I have it, but it does make it worth the little trouble it takes.

You might need to carry a little more weight to be neutral at the safety stop.
I disagree. First, it is not obvious to me what the 15L tanks are. If steel, then definitely more negative, not less.
If they are actually 100cf aluminum, then I still expect them to be 1-2 pounds lighter than a current standard AL80. (not a neutral 80, with service pressure of 3300 psi) An AL100 is about 13L.
Not every manufacturer has identical specs, but for the North American suppliers I have looked at the AL80 is always the most buoyant tank in each current line up, across all sizes, with one exception. Metal Impact makes an AL72 that is +3.5 pounds at 500 psi, versus +3.3 for their AL80. (Still darn close to a tie there.)

Well, maybe so..... @DandyDon dives em, what do you do for weight. From this chart, I’d say dive the same weight at first. The 80’s are luxfer for sure and guessing the 100’s are too - aluminum

upload_2019-12-2_17-26-39.png
upload_2019-12-2_17-26-39.jpeg

As a standard Meridiano 87 fills ALL aluminum tanks to 3000 PS. If you got 3145 that was an accident, but even then it is not 100cf. There is a good reason that Aldora pays 3 times as much for Steel HP 120 tanks, with lots more for maintenance--and has their own fill station.

In addition, THE Steel HP 120s have ideal buoyancy characteristics compared to any other tank.

Bear in mind that there is a huge difference between high pressure steel 120s and Low pressure 120s.

Dig into the above charts and others,and you will see that when full the hp 120s have more weight to get down easy, then never positive at the safety stop. For example, depending on brand the aluminum 100 may be as much as +7.8 pounds buoyant. When diving HP 120s most divers take 4 lbs off the weight belt when compared to Aluminum 80s. Aluminum 100s better add 4 lbs.

One more thing, the bulk of the Aluminum 100 or low pressure steel 120s is difficult to dive with. In fact it is my belief that dealing with the bulk of them may cause more divers to use up any extra air to be found in the tank.

Dave Dillehay

Not my money but I could debate this forever.

I disagree. First, it is not obvious to me what the 15L tanks are. If steel, then definitely more negative, not less.
If they are actually 100cf aluminum, then I still expect them to be 1-2 pounds lighter than a current standard AL80. (not a neutral 80, with service pressure of 3300 psi) An AL100 is about 13L.
Not every manufacturer has identical specs, but for the North American suppliers I have looked at the AL80 is always the most buoyant tank in each current line up, across all sizes, with one exception. Metal Impact makes an AL72 that is +3.5 pounds at 500 psi, versus +3.3 for their AL80. (Still darn close to a tie there.)
You missed that I said "might"? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom