Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've said it before... FLAGS DON'T SEEM TO MATTER (frustrating)

Towing a flag, and a shadow boat (with a flag) couldn't ward him off either...

Anyone who has done a lot of shore diving in S Florida has seen that sight

Anyone who has done a lot of shore diving in S Florida has seen that sight
Or lived it. I've had a PWC try to take my flag out at Venice. He thought it was a lobster pot. I explained to him that if it's not his, he should leave it the Ef alone. He certainly failed to appreciate my candor. :D

I was hit by a boat in Delray racing to get in for a fishing tournament on August 3, 2013 during a summer thunderstorm, deluge. I was holding onto the flag when I did my emergency descent. Fortunately, I escaped with only a minor laceration and broken bone in my left foot. The captain was cited for reckless boating, excessive speed, and no lookout. Had he killed me, who knows.

The captain was cited for reckless boating, excessive speed, and no lookout. Had he killed me, who knows.
How much were the fines? Did he pay for the hospital?

How much were the fines? Did he pay for the hospital?
Who knows the fines, I only got the final report from the FWC. My medical insurance paid for my ER care. I never really thought FWC was on my side. You know, "divers just pop up all over the place, it's difficult for boaters to keep track of them".

You know, "divers just pop up all over the place, it's difficult for boaters to keep track of them".
What a shame.

Or lived it. I've had a PWC try to take my flag out at Venice. He thought it was a lobster pot. I explained to him that if it's not his, he should leave it the Ef alone. He certainly failed to appreciate my candor. :D

My Dive Safety Officer at University of Miami refused to use a flag during current training dives in Bear Cut for this reason. One time he got hauled away from his students when some moron on a PWC grabbed his flag and pulled the line in thinking there was a lobster pot on the other end. I can only imagine the subsequent exchange.

Going by info posted on Spearboard, there are mooring buoys in the shallower portion of that area (12-22 ft).

Either when I'm out fishing or diving, I can't count the amount of times I've seen divers without flags. Dive Boats are the worst offenders. They will allow divers to go without flags and send up a sausage. Around the beaches and inlets it is common to see snorkelers without flags.

Back
Top Bottom