Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not talking about SAC--we have exited with gas to spare. But what we have experienced is that if we enter earlier than about 45 minutes before peak high tide, the current has tried to sweep us off our feet when we are putting our fins on, and vice versa for exiting later than about 45 minutes after peak high tide. So we have never dared trying for a dive longer than 90 minutes. Which is why it occurred to me that maybe Jenny enters/exits in a protected spot rather than where most people do, and times the dive to position herself in the places subject to the strongest current at the peak of slack (no current).

But it's sort of an academic question right now for us, as we have been occupied by so many other diving endeavors that we haven't made it to BHB in over two years. :( We love the place, though. Long live the trolls!

I've not really given it much thought but must use the same "trick". Essentially I just stay away from either span until about 30 minutes before high tide. I've never had an issue getting 2-2.5 hour dives. There is much to see straight south from the beach. I then focus on one of the bridge spans for about an hour of the dive (30 before to 30 after high tide). Not sure if it's a trick or not but just what I worked out from deductive reasoning and a desire to avoid fighting a strong current!

yep. exactly. Dang. Now you know my secret..

Ok, one of them..

LOL

:)

Scooter = what current? :eyebrow:

Speaking of tidal current, one of the things I used to do (aside from staying in the area just south of the beach) was ducking behind a bridge piling on the west side of the bridge if the current was to robust. Most of the pilings have interesting things on them and sand between the pilings will have interesting critters as well, sometimes jawfish, mantis shrimp, blennies on the larger rubble, etc. etc.

3:40 - Longest dive. single steel 80
Was it any good? From my experience, current becomes too strong and visibility drops if you stay too long.

Speaking of tidal current, one of the things I used to do (aside from staying in the area just south of the beach) was ducking behind a bridge piling on the west side of the bridge if the current was to robust. Most of the pilings have interesting things on them and sand between the pilings will have interesting critters as well, sometimes jawfish, mantis shrimp, blennies on the larger rubble, etc. etc.

Yup, that's a good one too! There is quite a bit of structure to shelter behind and explore in various parts of the bridge.

If you know how to time the tides and the flow of divers you can do a mid afternoon weekend dive and nary see another diver. :) I have a little routine I do on the west side and rarely see other divers, unless they are regulars and know the same spots..

(and Jim Blay)
sounds it! :wink:

but you miss the really little stuff!

Only if you don't clip off and spend 100% of your Dive on the trigger. :)

We need to dive this site soon. Was there today. Windy but fun. Will be back tomorrow.

Lets dive soon. Its been, what, 15 years?!!?!? :)

- K

yeah, something like that! what's your weekend look like? tides?
Ugh.. 4:30 PM high tide.. though doable as it gives me some time to do stuff around the house..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom