Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Storker,

Thanks for the correction. I did not assume. I have been communicating with @chillyinCanada for years now and I did not even think to check. She has good opinions and facts and I did not care if she was female or male. I hope we were communicating as human beings first.

Highlight added by MM.

Either way, I am sorry for the mistake.

markm

Thanks markm. That's how I've always felt that we were communicating too.

I've tried your theory a number of times. What works best is being friendly, kind and interested. Tips not so much oddly enough.

Hi Chilly,

Yeah, being friendly, kind and interested is definitely the most important. Leaving a big tip after being the south end of a north bound horse will not mitigate the problem.

cheers,
m

Island time doesn’t refer to service. Bad service is bad service and it can happen anywhere. Bonaire has many restaurants where it rarely happens. Seek them out.

Bonaire also has cultural variation, thank god. Homogeneity is so boring. As someone previously mentioned, this variation includes small things, like slower time between a server checking in so you can enjoy your meal at a slower pace, as well as having to ask for your check even when you’re obviously finished and your plates have been cleared.

As a frequent traveler I would imagine you recognize the difference between cultural variation and poor service, and in that way are more than capable of differentiating between the two. For instance, when a car stops at a street crossing to let other cars turn even though there’s no requirement or need, this is “island time”. Much different than a server playing on their phone; this is rude.

It sounds as if you should file a complaint with the specific establishment for bad service. And then use your money other places on the island where a slower pace is not synonymous with disconnection and inattentiveness.

Bonaire is an extremely mindful island, and it’s important to remember that mindfulness can often take time. Talking to people for longer, more personal attention, stopping in the street to greet a friend, giving space and time to people on vacation, absent of intrusion, etc. Also important to remember, many of the employees are young, even interns with first time jobs, they too are learning. And the older ones, well, perhaps they’re jaded, working in a service industry delivering to people who are never satisfied. And lastly, bitching and complaining on message boards doesn’t solve problems. Proactive behavior does.

Five simple steps to help you in the future:
1. Not getting what you want how you want it but paying for it? Ask for what you want how you want it.
2. Still not getting it? Find someplace else that can give it.
3. Know the difference between cultural variation and rude behavior.
4. Be sensitive to a reality much different from expectations.
5. Let go of rigid expectations...you’re on vacation, man.

Overall, my DH and I look forward to Bonaire Island Time...or any other Island Time anywhere else for that matter... So....IMMHO....Either you are a Local Resident and are used to Island Time or you are a Visitor/Tourist and as a guest you need to go with the flow....Frankly, and again, IMMHO, it is nice to slow down once in awhile...sit back and relax... and take it easy. No Hurries...No Worries

Good to see that there are others who still remember this.

When I was my early teens I was taught that "knife at 4 o'clock, fork at 8 o'clock" means "I'm just taking a pause" while "fork and knife parallel at around 3 o'clock" means "I'm done, no matter what's left on my plate". Seems like they've quit teaching the youngsters that. Or perhaps it's just a bourgeois thing?
I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before. I guess I shouldn't have wasted that money my dad saved for finishing school.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before. I guess I shouldn't have wasted that money my dad saved for finishing school.
First you need to learn to eat with your fork in your left hand.....

I didn't have to go to finishing school to learn that.

Two, three, more... Whatever someone says they are, it's all good to me. I have a happy life with my spouse, and I'm not going to deny anyone else the same. It's not my frikkin' business.

I'm at less than that. So what? I'm happy, whatever makes you (general "you") happy it's ok as long as no-one gets hurt. All you need is love.

Let's agree about that.

That's what I was trying to say. Guess not clearly. What I did mean is that I couldn't care less. I'm beyond that. People are just people. No sex, no color, no religion, no nationality, no anything. It just makes no difference.

I had an interesting experience (I was leading a group) at Buddy Dive a few weeks ago. The Dutch operations manager asked me if I had any ideas about how to make the lunch service go faster at their pool bar, "Blennies." I suggested the usual "Take the orders as soon as we sit down" and he said yes, they are working to do that. Then I said, and bring the check (for us to sign to our rooms) when the food is delivered. He was aghast! "But that's rude!" And -- this is where different cultures really come in -- he explained that sometimes people add to their order -- like maybe dessert -- and this would mean more work for the servers, having to deal with two checks and thus twice the work. I tried to ask how often this happened, and suggest it was not very often, but he was not very interested.

But I think I'm going to keep trying on this one....at the very least the servers could ask when they take the order, "Do you want your check with the food?"

I've eaten at blennies twice this week. Service is noticeably faster than when I was here in October, but still not real fast. On the flip side, I've also eaten at Eddie's and the service has been fantastic both times.

I think if someone explained that they'd get X more money in tips if they were 1 or 2x faster in service SOME would make a change. But they either don't see the connection or don't care about a 50% increase in their pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom