From Basic to Fancy Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of skipped the basic computer phase. For years, I dove with no computer. That was kind of a carryover from my initial open water class. At the time, computers were around, but they were primarily used by the tech community, Nitrox too, by the way.

When I finally did get a computer, I got an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Air integrated console. I liked having everything in one place. When this computer finally died, I replaced it with an Oceanic VT4.1. That was about 6 years ago. Transmitter and computer still function great, but I did nearly lose the computer last year. Rubber strap gave out when I was standing on a submerged platform ready to start the dive. I noticed it, and retrieved it. Had it happened later in the dive, I probably wouldn’t have found it. I replaced the strap with a bungee mount, so worry about that less.

My next computer will be a Shearwater Perdix AI. Since my Oceanic transmitter still works, and will work with the Shearwater, I’ll keep using that for now. I strongly considered a Teric,but it didn’t really make sense for me as I don’t wear a watch. The Perdix also comes with two straps, and can be converted to bungee as well.

My Oceanic has a digital compass, and the Shearwaters do as well, but I prefer a wrist mounted analog compass. With the Oceanic, using the compass took up the whole screen, so it wasn’t really useful during a dive. With the Shearwaters, the compass takes up less room, so you could still use it as a computer. But, I’ll probably still use the analog compass.
I dived an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 from 2002-2010. I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010, it has 1448 dives and 1529 hours on it. I started diving a back up computer in 2006, a Cochran EMC-14, it was ideal as it was a little more aggressive than DSAT. It was functionally a difficult computer to deal with and I switched to an Oceanic Geo2 in 2011. I switched to a Dive Rite Nitek Q in 2016 to learn Buhlmann, a good move. Last May I bought a Teric, run it off the same transmitter as my VT3. I enjoy having the SurfGF and am employing it to help plan my ascents and surfacing.

I have really enjoyed learning about and now using shearwaters GF99 and surf GF displays. they are always changing their options for new stuff and the customer service is great. you can go for a model that has AI and just not use it until you are ready for it. I am biased towards Shearwater after 4 or more other computers mostly aeris prodicts.

I had issues with dongle cables and havingthe right one and failing data transfers., the blue tooth is a saving grace. t he shearwater menues are intuitive and uses 2 buttons one to scroll with and one to select with. Other makers may have such a system by now but its ease of use is for me the selling point.

My petrel and the rest of the wrist shearwater line takes a quarter to open the battery compartment and replace batteries which can be a common alkaline AA grocery bought battery, or a list of other types like MIMH, ls400 and others. The computer should never need a tech to do any routine maintenance like so many that has special orings and batteries involved in a battery change. If youare ging ot use AI you are gon to use more battery power and you are infor battery changes 2-3 times a year depending on how much you dive. PRICE A BATTERY CHANGE AT A LDS SOMETIME Im not sure what is easier changing the battery in my dive puter or in a common household flashlight.

Of perticular liking to me is the multiple screens available. specifically the Safety stop screen with the display dedicated to needed data for the SS and final surface only. You dont need NDL and other stuff at 20 ft SS. you have surf GF and GF99 a clock and those data that is unique to SS and surface process. etc.

Now what ever you decide dont run out and get one. buddy up with some one that uses the prospective models you are considering and experience live the use of them and pick the one you can work with the best.

Here is an example of shearwater and their developers. I used to have to use the manual for the one function of turning on the BT transmitter to link to my desktop. It was the only function that was not intuitive to find in the menu system. apparently I wasn't not alone feeling like that . The next firmware update the problem was fixed by making it a top level menu selection and not a misc sub function of some other major heading.

Again I am biased on shearwater but it is the usability and not the maker per se that makes it a great choice for me. If you cant find the functions in the menu system then you really dont have those functions. You should never need a book to do a gas change such as ean 32 or air etc. let alone underwater when you move on to more technical type diving and are doing deco. There is even a menu selection for that recreational or technical...

The price of a higher end computer may be high but if you research it properly you can buy one model and use it fo ryears instead of rebuying less expensive models every couple of years. I went through ove 2k of coputers befor getting my shearwater and the single 600$ price was well worth it. I eventually bought anothe shearwater becasue it had a compass installed in it and it was well worth the money becaseu like most compasses they dont work unlesskept fairly level. the computere does nto care about being near level to work. I have a preditor. My wife and I have petrel 1's and after selling my petrel1 i bought a petrel2 for he compass. have never regretted any of the purchases.

Every once in a while I break them all out and update firmware and Im good to go. you can buy used adn still get a great prodict. the predators are older and are limited as to the batteries they can use but are woth getting one if you can. the better choice would be right now anything but the teric. I say that becasue it it a wrist watch ans i likd the larger screen with my eyesight. any funciton issues todate are software ones and will e corrected in firmware updates. perdix and beyond are AI compatable. I have no clue how easy it is to change a battery on the teric but I am on the predicesors.

Another thing to consider is what deco model you want to use buhlman rbgm vbl etc.

There are a lot of choices to make before you can focus on a specific model. Shearwater is using buhlman and for 50 bucks you can get a VBL turn on code via email for your selection.

My petrel and the rest of the wrist shearwater line takes a quarter to open the battery compartment and replace batteries which can be a common alkaline AA grocery bought battery, or a list of other types like MIMH, ls400 and others. The computer should never need a tech to do any routine maintenance like so many that has special orings and batteries involved in a battery change. If youare ging ot use AI you are gon to use more battery power and you are infor battery changes 2-3 times a year depending on how much you dive. PRICE A BATTERY CHANGE AT A LDS SOMETIME Im not sure what is easier changing the battery in my dive puter or in a common household flashlight.
That’s a real good point. Aside from computers with in-computer rechargeable batteries, like the Teric, changing a battery should be something that can be done in minutes. Thankfully, the days of oil-filled computers are done, so user battery changes are fairly common.

However, most manufacturers don’t make it nearly as easy. They’ll be glad to sell you a kit with the correct battery, o-ring, and some lube, but try not to tell you what each of those parts is. The lube is pretty standard, and the battery usually is labeled, but the o-ring size is nowhere to be found on the manufacturer’s site. When I was researching, the first link to the SW o-ring size was right on Shearwater’s website. Sure beats buying a kit for 10x what it should cost.

I’ve gotten fairly good at replacing the battery on the Oceanic, and can replace it on a boat in a pinch, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily easy. Plus, it requires the use of a fairly specific tool that you won’t find in a hardware store, plus a suction cup. I’ll take the quarter over those any day.

That’s a real good point. Aside from computers with in-computer rechargeable batteries, like the Teric, changing a battery should be something that can be done in minutes. Thankfully, the days of oil-filled computers are done, so user battery changes are fairly common.

However, most manufacturers don’t make it nearly as easy. They’ll be glad to sell you a kit with the correct battery, o-ring, and some lube, but try not to tell you what each of those parts is. The lube is pretty standard, and the battery usually is labeled, but the o-ring size is nowhere to be found on the manufacturer’s site. When I was researching, the first link to the SW o-ring size was right on Shearwater’s website. Sure beats buying a kit for 10x what it should cost.

I’ve gotten fairly good at replacing the battery on the Oceanic, and can replace it on a boat in a pinch, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily easy. Plus, it requires the use of a fairly specific tool that you won’t find in a hardware store, plus a suction cup. I’ll take the quarter over those any day.

and my I add,,, It takes but one little unseen issue and the puter is flooded. In regard to the teric are those batteries rechargable by setting them on a charge stand or something lke that. If so that would be nice.

I'm really liking my perdix AI, very easy to read and the best part uses AA (the most common) battery

I'm really liking my perdix AI, very easy to read and the best part uses AA (the most common) battery
Yes I agree totally. it is very similar to the petrels and with that you know just how easy it is to navigate. Shearwater i has been so far ahead of the competition is hard to see how anyone can choose anything else. Its no wonder so many other brands have that basic shearwater look and 2 button operation. copying is the greatest form of flattery and a great signal you are doing it right.

Shearwater hands down.

I did have one Deepblu cosmiq+ and it died after a year.

Now I have three Shearwater, one perdix ai, one Petrel 2 ext (fisher), and one nerd 2 fisher. Never had an issue with either of them. Couldn't be happier with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom