Nervous and Conflicted about my first actual dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He had you do the mask clear several times because it's the number one cause of freakouts for new divers. Masks often leak or get knocked a bit askew. You need to be able to deal with this calmly. If it happens during a dive, stop doing anything else but breathing and get it sorted out and then go on.

As to the equalizing. As others have mentioned, don't get fancy here. Put your fingers on the nosepiece on the surface and equalize before you descend and then every couple of feet until you get to 20' or so. The biggest pressure changes are near the surface, so more is better here. Then every few feet until you get to your depth. If it starts to pinch, go up a bit until you can clear comfortably. There's no style points awarded for the descent. The goal is to get there in good shape to start exploring.

What your experiencing most new divers go through it a process and it gets easier each dive. Also getting a small amount of water in your mask is common so keep working on the clearing it will become second nature but make sure your mask is not to tight that will make it leak it just needs to be tight enough to keep it on the water pressure will do the rest.

Agree with all above that these are normal issues for a first time diver. As for the mask clear, I am not sure why your instructor would have you repeat the skill multiple times but not debrief you as to why he made you do it over and over. If I see a student struggling with a skill, I will have them repeat it until I see they become comfortable doing it. Then I tell them why I had them repeat the skill. We can't learn without a good debrief.

Saltwater will get in your eyes. It just happens and all you can do is be grateful you don't dive here in the UAE where we have incredibly salty water. It will sting but it usually goes away rather quickly.

The last thing I want to mention is about equalization. Do it EARLY AND OFTEN! If you wait until you feel pressure, you are doing it wrong. I have my students do it every half meter, all the way down to the bottom. Also note that it is a gentle blow. Never should you have to force it. If it is to the point where a gentle blow will not work, you need to ascend a bit wait and try again.

My suggestion is to keep diving and do so with experienced divers who do not have a problem being mentors. They can be hard to find but when you find a good one, they are worth their weight in gold. Keep it up and safe diving!

Regarding your repeated mask clear concern:

As a divemaster I often do Discover Scuba Dives/Try Dives. Because of the weather and diving conditions where I am these are typically conducted in a pool. We start in the shallow end and my criteria for taking a candidate into the deep end of the pool is that they can successfully execute a mask clear and reg recovery without any difficulty...that also means they are able to demonstrate the skill with all the steps that I show them....

...often for reg recovery the candidate does not pass their hand against their thigh as they sweep the arm backwards...they still recover the reg but it is not how I demonstrate and I know that if they follow the steps as explained and demonstrated they will be successful when off the bottom in deeper water. For the mask clear the same thing...little things like not tilting the head or failure to press the top of the mask against the forehead, or thinking the mask is clear and it is not is what I am evaluating....when these 2 skills go wrong for a first time diver, the diver tends to panic and want to go up...not a problem so much in a pool but when it happens in deeper water there is exponentially more risk.

I don't typically brief a diver on what they did wrong with the skill, I re-explain, re-demonstrate, with emphasis on the part of the skill that needs attention and congratulate them underwater with a high five or hand shake and an affirmative nod when they do it well. If they don't do it well we just say in the shallow end, and invite them back for another DSD the following week when we are back at the pool...we don't charge for them.

So I would put my money on your instructor was not comfortable with the level you were executing the skills he needed to see in order being comfortable with taking you on a deeper/longer dive the next day, and gave you the time to repeat the skills until he was satisfied you could do them properly to his satisfaction/comfort level to sign off on them.

Regarding all the other issues you mentioned....as others have stated, things will get better with experience in the water. I just had 2 friends who picked up their OW certs and the advice I gave them was that the best thing they could do is relax and breath and not get hung up on anything else.

For the mask you will be using....an often error is to tighten the straps to stop a leak...this just compresses and distorts the seal making it worse. I find new divers tend to have leaky masks no matter which they use because in the water they are stressed and the muscles in their face are tense which distorts the mask seal and causes it to leak. As you gain a bit of time/experience under water you will relax more and your facial muscles will too, you will then probably find that you no longer have an issue with your mask taking on water.

Good luck, have fun, and relax.

-Z

As to the required extra weight, you were in salt water so of course you needed more. In addition, being stressed probably meant you were kicking without being aware of it which would be driving you to the surface if you were more or less vertical in the water. It will get much better by the end of the week I'll bet.

One, you need your own mask. Mask fit is a very personal thing. I can’t wrap my brain around the idea that people can get certified without even owning their own mask.

Two, a lot of us have crappy first dives. Just grit your teeth and muscle through it. I’m very stubborn and that’s the only way I’ve gotten this far. Swearing through your reg is allowed. :wink: Buddies of mine are used to it.
I do have my own mask, fins, snorkel, boots, bag and dive pc. I've also signed up for my advanced certification

I do have my own mask, fins, snorkel, boots, bag and dive pc. I've also signed up for my advanced certification

Also, you might have had a little bit of hair caught in your mask skirt or the mask strap wasn't in just the right position on the back of your head.

If it's possible, perhaps tomorrow you could rent yourself a dive guide/dive master and just dive with him or her. Let your group go without you.

Just a thought.

Hi OP,

I recall it seems like there's a lot going on when you start out (and even when you've taken a break from diving) but that soon gets better. Everyone's given good advice - get out there and enjoy yourself!

I think it’s really good that you seem to be so aware of so many little things you can work on.

About equalising, I think, especially when you start, some people can be worried of making people wait and rush through things. I would advise to take all the time you need to equalise and descend: your buddy should wait for you if you need more time.

IMHO, it’s better to be proactive in the first few meters to equalise.

Good advice thus far. The stress of the trip, and of your first true ocean dives, can make a big difference in the degree of anxiety you feel. I will focus on a couple of items that you mentioned. But, first things first:
Edit; The big reason I was feeling conflicted was whether I should go on the deeper boat dive before getting a better grip and/or adjusting to this new environment closer to the shore.
You are right in feeling conflicted. I would recommend against going on any boat dives until you resolve some of your issues. Yes, you might find that today is a brand new day, you do a boat dive and have a blast, no issues clearing, etc. That would be great. But, you might just as easily find you have the same issues, can't descend with the group, feel frustrated, feel embarrassed, etc. And, that wouldn't be so good.

[The beauty of Bonaire - you don't HAVE to do ANY boat dives to have a great dive trip. There are plenty of terrific shore dives available. You don't mention the resort - from your description I was wondering if you are staying at Buddy Dive. If so, the 'house reef' is simply superb. (Frankly, the same can be said for most of the resorts on Bonaire, in fact).]

Buoyancy and weighting: as several have mentioned, you are diving in salt water. You will need more weight than you needed in the pool, with the same exposure suit. Also, are you wearing more neoprene than you did in the pool? The anxiety of going into the ocean for the first time can definitely contribute to a wee bit of hyperventilation, which accentuates the buoyancy problem. (The shop owner's advice to 'practice exhaling more' suggests that this is a factor.)

Equalization issues:
I seem to more difficulties equalizing my left ear (the one that got sore/painful after my first lesson).
This comment concerns me a bit. You are saying that one ear was actually sore after your first pool dive? What kind of pain? How long did the discomfort persist after that first session? Did it recur? Was it worse when you were trying to clear?
Also, I would like to know if there's a better way to determine if your sinuses/ears are ready for your dive.
Possibly.

There are more than a few walk-in medical clinics in Kralendijk. It would be worth considering a visit, today. (Ask the resort staff for a recommendation.) Have someone take a look in your ears - particularly the left - with an otoscope. What happens with your tympanic membrane when you do a valsalva? Does it move outward normally? At the very least, a 'negative' evaluation - no issues observed - would provide reassurance. I have done this more than once after a dive trip left me with pain / discomfort.

You have spent considerable money, and time, to get to the 'Diver's Paradise'. But, don't let the stress of feeling like you MUST dive, in order to justify that expense and time, cause you to do something that will really make the experience unpleasant. Even if you have to spend another day getting ready - a walk-in clinic visit. or more time in shallow water making sure you can equalize, or trying another mask, etc. - it would be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom