Nervous and Conflicted about my first actual dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have my own mask, fins, snorkel, boots, bag and dive pc. I've also signed up for my advanced certification

Hi neighbor (I'm in Indpls, IN.) Sorry you had the experience that you did first dive out. Being newly certified, I was wondering if you did your checkout dives in OH or if the first dives in Bonaire are your checkout dives?

Agree with what others have said about the mask, buoyancy and equalization. It gets better. As you said in your original post, you feel a little practice will help. Early in my teaching/coaching career, I had access to a pool where I could practice skills with mask, fin, and snorkel - way before I ever knew I was going to one day be certified. Now every dive is my only chance to improve/work on something. Would guess it's that way for most recreational divers.

As to being signed up for advanced certification, some people would tell you go ahead while diving is fresh on your mind and others would say spend the money to get more dives under your belt first. I didn't get mine until about 18 years after I first got OW certified. I've yet to dive anyplace where the dive op told me I couldn't do a dive because I didn't have AOW (although I know there are places - I just wanted to be prepared for if it happened.) In hindsight, I'm glad my money went to just diving as I experienced much of what is taught in AOW - the AOW course was pretty easy.

You have probably learned something about planning a trip in the future. Although I haven't been to Bonaire yet, I know that it is one trip where adding an extra day at the beginning would be my likely move to avoid possible issues that you had (surely one could find accommodations for an extra night for less than the extra $650 you had to pay out,)

Hope your remaining days are better and you feel more comfortable.

A lot of good advice here. I can’t wait to hear how amazing your first real dives were.

- nothing to prove, listen to your instructor
- you are learning something that will always amaze you
- loosen your mask
- relax
- breathe
- clear your ears the second you start to deflate your BC
- breathe
- clear
- breathe
- clear
- breathe
- ENJOY!!!!!!

Just a quick update. I went on 2 more shore dives with 2 instructor. Skipped the first boat outing (which is also near shore, just a different part of island). Had a much better/easier experience.. was able to clear my ears/equalize a lot easier. Thank God. Only 2 mistakes I made. 1. Accidentally went to 90 ft without realizing it. The instructor was trying to signal for me to ascend
2. Took my Android phone with me.. I instinctively stuck it in my pocket on our break before proceeding prepping for the next dive. I assume it's a goner. Ironically, I was enjoying my dive so much that after I realized it was there, I didnt bother trying to rush anything and wasn't to upset about it. @jonhall I had to pay $615 for my one way flight to get to Bonaire

Glad to hear it's going better.

Do you not feel you can confide in the dive shop owner (instructor?) who has been working with you? They should be able to understand what you're going through as a new diver. People here on SB are giving fine advice, but it strikes me as sad that you can't get that kind of advice right there from the instructors or other experienced people you're diving with and have to resort to this. Relax, enjoy the vacation, and ask for advice from your mentors as needed. Give us a report when you get back!

BlueTuna -

Thanks for following up. I'm happy, and not surprised, that things went well. Take a look at this blog post and short video. It covers the stuff you really need to concentrate on (#4 definitely needs some attention :)): The 6 Rules of Scuba - Cave Diver Harry

Ah the 3rd degree of freedom. Up/down is a new way for you to move, and you'll need to keep an eye on the depth gauge as its easy to get much deeper than you planned when you are distracted looking at all the new things.

Good to hear you skipped a dive you didn't think you were ready for. Never be afraid to sit out a dive if you feel its above your comfort/skill level.

I find when doing boat dives, and descending to 30+ feet right away, I'm equalizing on every breath, that way I'm doing a lot of small equalization vs bigger equalization every few breaths. Generally its not a race to the bottom, so take your time, and if you have trouble with equalization don't forget its an option to come up a bit and do equalization at a lower pressure, and then continue the decent.

--first OW checkout dive-- No problems other than a bit of corking. Admit I was a little nervous even with a lifetime of snorkeling and water activity. Only to 20' depth or so at the training spot.
--first post-OW dive (shore/FL Springs). Went solo, though there were tone of divers in the water. Was too sheepish to ask to be part of a group and that maybe I do something stupid, such as mistakes gearing up. Had a tank slip.
--first boat dive (Gulf of Mex. to 78')--wound up alone at depth when my "experienced" buddy (husband of the instructor on board who was doing an AOW course) decided to leave me to catch 3 lobsters. A little tenuous pulling myself down the anchor line, but all was fine when the bottom came into view. Haven't boat dived in 5 years so that may be a bit "new" to me next time.
--everything gets easier with experience.

Greetings fellow divers,

Quick background info in case you dont know about me.. I just got scuba certified to prep for this grand vacation to Bonaire. Ive invested a lot time, energy and finances into this trip and I really wanted everything to go well. I actually ended up missing my first flight, and ended up getting delayed, losing 2 days of my week-long vacation and having to spend an additional $650 to get here. (more on this later)

Anyways, I finally get to the resort and as soon as I check in, the front desk recomends I go sign up at the scuba shop before it closes. I get there, sign some paperwork, and run into the owner of our local Dive shop (the shop that orchestrated this vacation). After acquiring my rental equipment and going to my locker on the dock, he approaches me and basically says, "Suit up, were going to get your first dive done right now, you and me..so youre qualified to dive tomorrow" In the interest of saving time (it was about an hour til sunset), he set up my dive tank and demonstrated each step. He had me demonstrate mask clearing, and losing my regulator and putting back in. During the dive however, I had several issues that made me feel that I might need more practice before going on a deeper dive.
-My mask seemed to be constantly getting little small amounts of water in it. He thought this might be a mask issue and said he would try a new mask for me tomorrow... additionally, during the mask clear I think I did decent, but he had me repeat it a few times, so I wasnt sure if I was doing something incorrectly. I also ended up with stinging salt water in my eyes
- Despite feeling like I was starting to get the hang of the neutral buoyancy thing during my pool dives, I felt terrrible on this dive. In the pool I had 0 weight and sunk like a rock. Here I had 4 lbs of weight, but kept floating to the surface while he was near the bottom. Even while submerged, I felt like I was too upright most of the time. He told me I needed to practice exhaling more.I managed to maintain a decent depth/buoyancy for a short time, but I ended up inadvertently ascending again.
- Lastly and MOST importantly... I tried to equalize, and I think I did Okay, but I feel I still need practice. I seem to more difficulties equalizing my left ear (the one that got sore/painful after my first lesson). At one point, when I was probably 15-20 ft under, my left ear started feeling a bit painful. I signaled this to the instructor so we ascended a bit until I tried to equalize again. I felt like I managed to get it to a decent level, but something still felt off and it seeemed like it took a lot more effort and time for me than it does for other people. Also, when I surfaced I noticed thin, clear mucus coming out of my nose. I didn't feel congested prior, but I wonder if I'm lightly congested and wasn't aware of it. I also think might be a side effect of getting water in my mouth.

In the past hour I've watched a few videos about equalization. I hope someone of the alternative methods will help, but i honestly don't know how I feel about going down to 30-60 ft when I'm struggling and felt a bit uncomfortable at sub 30ft.

Also, I would like to know if there's a better way to determine if your sinuses/ears are ready for your dive.

Edit; The big reason I was feeling conflicted was whether I should go on the deeper boat dive before getting a better grip and/or adjusting to this new environment closer to the shore.
First of all WELCOME to ScubaBoard. Glad you have decided to join us.
Second of all, please don't discouraged. Good things take time and if you are persistent enough and give it some time, you will fall in love with this wonderful sport. You'll come back and reminisce your experience as something that made you a better diver.

BlueTuna -

Thanks for following up. I'm happy, and not surprised, that things went well. Take a look at this blog post and short video. It covers the stuff you really need to concentrate on (#4 definitely needs some attention :)): The 6 Rules of Scuba - Cave Diver Harry
can't say I agree with #1. I hold my breath on two occasions: taking a picture of something skittish. Just after inflating my DSMB and just before releasing it.

Nothing is going to happen to a diver who holds their breath and doesn't ascend.

You can argue at least 3 of the 6 under certain conditions, but the point of the blog is "six things that can help you avoid most accidents." Not 6 things to follow blindly no matter what. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with "Just exhale a tiny stream of bubbles until you can resume breathing normally" even under your conditions.

Back
Top Bottom