Wanted Starter sidemount rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Aaaannnnd, the OP's okay with the hijack!!!
@wetb4igetinthewater has safely stolen second base. The Moderators are watching closely, but not feeling strict today.

Carry on. :)
lol. I just totally misread the post and unintentionally went OT (as compared to all the times I intentionally go OT! )

Hell.... with that big red font I thought I was going to get banned for just starting the thread.

You can get a brand new HOG sidemount BC for probably under $200. I have one lightly used one and one that’s brand new, never wet. They may not be the best in any one certain area, but they work well enough. I know a couple cave divers that have been using them for at least a year of semi regular diving.

I don’t think they make them any more, but some of us still have them.

If one were to say....make their own harness or buy a cheap used one, as the OP desires, what are the options for bladders that are modular [attach to any harness] that has enough lift for cold water diving [>30# of lift]?

Mods, please admonish me to the land of shame if this is a hijack...and inappropes... :)

If one were to say....make their own harness or buy a cheap used one, as the OP desires, what are the options for bladders that are modular [attach to any harness] that has enough lift for cold water diving [>30# of lift]?

Mods, please admonish me to the land of shame if this is a hijack...and inappropes... :)

There are two paths of travel, that I am aware of for a DIY, modular approach.

For Mexico, warm water and aluminum tanks.. there are people who have made minimalist web harnesses with a bladder or trim pillow that mounts to the lumbar region. I have even seen people who modify water bladders to add a BC inflator. A few eBay sellers have offered metal buckles and hardware to make this easier. Purchased webbing, and even seatbelt webbing sourced from junkyards have been used in the past.

I actually own an old vintage (80s era) homemade SM harness that was used by a North FL cave diver, where heavy steel tanks are the favored tools. Once again, salvaged webbing that looks like it came from an old Pinto, is very similar to a DIve Rite Nomad and sandwiches a #30 wing against the back of the diver. It used pieces of bike inner tube to keep it all streamlined.

I guess you could call this modular.

The Dive Rite Nomad system certainly is modular in that is shares the same harness and soft backplate has a TransPac. It has the added butt plate and a slightly modified wing that goes inside the harness against the diver’s back.

I find these very interesting, but you would be hard pressed to really save any money vs buying a gently used manufactured, purpose built BC.

I have a HOG SM BCD that I will sell...it has upgraded webbing [belt, half of the shoulder straps, tons of brand new metal HW to make it much more robust and adjustable] to alleviate the "cheap" build quality of the webbing...includes a weight plate pouch on the back, too, for up to 30lbs of lead :D

It has plenty of lift, sliding D rings, scooter ring, and extra D rings[chest strap if you want, etc]

A full SM rig for $160.00 :)

Free shipping!

PM if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom