Scopolamine 10pk $250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I challenge you to point to any documentation that shows that cutting a transderm patch in half is safe and recommended. There was a thread on here a number of years ago about it and the consensus was that you should not do it.

Cutting the Scopolamine Patch in 1/2

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's OK to recommend the practice to others....
Really? Cutting in half will have no greater I'll effect than the whole patch...get over it...fresh. oh, I dont get sea sick so I dont use them.

I don't see the downside of cutting a patch. If you do it and it works you've saved some expense and probably done your body a favour. If you still get seasick, don't cut the patch next time.

Cutting in half will have no greater I'll effect than the whole patch

I don't see the downside of cutting a patch.

The problem is the rate at which the drug is delivered to your body. the uncut patch leches out the drug very slowly; the cut patch does it quickly, through the cut part.

When the aspirin box says (say) two pills every 6h, which is eight per day, do you just take all eight in the morning and hope it is OK?

You can buy Scopolamine patches on eBay, I get 10 patches for around $18. Hard pass on the US drug cartel charging $250 for the same exact thing.
Which ones are you using? I see two that are cheap: MQ and Ariel. The former are not scopalamine, but rather some herbal concoction, whereas the Ariel do appear to be scopalamine.

The problem is the rate at which the drug is delivered to your body. the uncut patch leches out the drug very slowly; the cut patch does it quickly, through the cut part.

When the aspirin box says (say) two pills every 6h, which is eight per day, do you just take all eight in the morning and hope it is OK?

From reading the beginning of that thread linked to above, one might think that's the way the patch works. But see Post #19 in that thread: Cutting the Scopolamine Patch in 1/2.

Which ones are you using? I see two that are cheap: MQ and Ariel. The former are not scopalamine, but rather some herbal concoction, whereas the Ariel do appear to be scopalamine.

Correct, I get the Ariel brand that does contain Scopolamine. They work well although they do come off after several days of diving. I couldn't go out on boats without them.

I read about a method of cutting dosage that may be more sanctioned (though I don't think it will conserve patches if that's what you're after.) Basically put on a bandage of some sort, then the patch on the edge of it, only allowing as much as you want on your skin.

Sometimes I also color outside the lines, exceed the speed limit, and tear tags off my mattress. :)

Do what you feel comfortable with, but in this case the only effect is that you will get less medication. As stated, I found that works better for my body.

You are welcome to believe what you want, obviously.

I don't use a patch and haven't formed any beliefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom