Georgia diver collapses dead - Juno Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was published Dec 1, but a local told me about it on the morning of December 1, saying that it had happened "the other day", so I think that the reporting may be just a day or two late.

Georgia Man Dies During Dive Trip Off Florida Coast
"JUPITER, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s investigators say a 43-year-old man from Georgia fell and hit his head on a charter boat after a dive off Florida’s Atlantic Coast....

...Detectives say Ligon showed no signs of distress after the dive. He swam back to the boat, climbed the ladder and stood on the deck, where he collapsed, hitting his head on the floor."

This was published Dec 1, but a local told me about it on the morning of December 1, saying that it had happened "the other day", so I think that the reporting may be just a day or two late.

Georgia Man Dies During Dive Trip Off Florida Coast
"JUPITER, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s investigators say a 43-year-old man from Georgia fell and hit his head on a charter boat after a dive off Florida’s Atlantic Coast....

...Detectives say Ligon showed no signs of distress after the dive. He swam back to the boat, climbed the ladder and stood on the deck, where he collapsed, hitting his head on the floor."
It happened Friday afternoon on November 29

Thanks Astrid. I was just about to post this. Please tell Michaela and her sister that they are in our thoughts and prayers. Everyone at Kraken Springs that knew Jim liked him and thought highly of him. He will be missed by us all.

Mods, if this needs to be moved from the A&I forum, I'm sure a thread in the Passings forum could be started to accommodate it.

Sad to hear about the loss of someone so young.

I am with Chilly that a 10 minute dive sounds suspicious for a problem during the dive and I can not envision a traumatic brain injury that would cause cardiac death with in minutes. Possibly with a spinal fracture secondary to head trauma but I think even that is a long shot.
Lots of possibilities, brain aneurysm, pulmonary embolus, stroke, heart attack and more.
If the AED was actually finding a shockable rhythm that's pretty suggestive

Thanks Astrid. I was just about to post this. Please tell Michaela and her sister that they are in our thoughts and prayers. Everyone at Kraken Springs that knew Jim liked him and thought highly of him. He will be missed by us all.

Mods, if this needs to be moved from the A&I forum, I'm sure a thread in the Passings forum could be started to accommodate it.

Thank you kindly!! Jim was definitely a kindred spirit!! The news caught our family off guard. I’ll relay the message to my nieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom