Recommendations for Checking in Camera Gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Nauticam WWL-1 on order and I suspect that it will have to go in my checked luggage as my hand carry is full of batteries electronics. Aside from getting a Pelican case, are there any other tried and tested methods of transporting domes in checked luggage?

Thanks

I've always just wrapped my 8" dome in a wetsuit vest or jammed it into my clothes bag. (In fairness, it's an acrylic dome). My 4" mini dome is glass and it goes into my Pelican case, which I take as carryon.

I don't think I'd be inclined to check my gear in anything other than a Pelican case or similar.

Reactions: CWK
There are a few disadvantages for Pelican (style) cases:
  • Paint a target on you for baggage theft
  • Tend to be very heavy empty and limit your capacity
  • Customs inspections seem to be targeting them in some places (Cabo) for duty fees
A lower profile camera backpack or rolling carry-on such as ThinkTank may be a better option.

As for the dome port, just put it in your clothing bag. Find a tupperware container that fits it if you want more protection.

I have a Nauticam WWL-1 on order and I suspect that it will have to go in my checked luggage as my hand carry is full of batteries electronics. Aside from getting a Pelican case, are there any other tried and tested methods of transporting domes in checked luggage?

Thanks
The case it comes in is well-padded. I've just put in my checked bag, surrounded by soft, squishy things.

Thanks everyone. I’ll go hunting for a tupperware that can fit the WWL-1 case.
If you don't have the hard cap buy it the lens can pretty much stand on its own in the checked in luggage and once in the pouch you may just want something to reduce movement.
By the way at times I also check in the housing in the nauticam bags with some bubble wrap and I am also planning to check in domes. The nauticam bags once combined with lens hard caps in a diving bag or a standard hard case are totally safe. And am also thinking of getting rid of diving bags entirely as pelican and diving bags seem to scream steal me

If you don't have the hard cap buy it the lens can pretty much stand on its own in the checked in luggage and once in the pouch you may just want something to reduce movement.
By the way at times I also check in the housing in the nauticam bags with some bubble wrap and I am also planning to check in domes. The nauticam bags once combined with lens hard caps in a diving bag or a standard hard case are totally safe. And am also thinking of getting rid of diving bags entirely as pelican and diving bags seem to scream steal me
Thanks.

Yes. I've been checking in housings. Never had any sort of dome before so I was concerned about that. I didn't want a Pelican case as it does scream steal to me too. If I do use a Pelican, it would go inside a soft sided travel bag.

Back
Top Bottom