GoPro Hero 8 Black — Red Filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradStyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I just got a new H8 to take on a trip to Tulum & Cozumel next month. I had been planning to buy a Backscatter Flip 7 when I got my new GoPro, but come to find out the H8 requires a new underwater housing because they changed the lens port, and the Flip 7 won't work with it. The folks there tell me they're working on a new design for the H8, but it won't be available until January sometime, which is too late for me.

Anyone know of any solution that will work with the new H8 / H8 underwater housing?

Thanks!

I've been patiently waiting on the updated Flip 8 filters. @BluewaterPhoto, you have any info on availability yet?

I spoke with Backscatter last week and they said after the first of the year they would have a better timeframe. They are still being designed/tested.

Hello all,

I just got a new H8 to take on a trip to Tulum & Cozumel next month. I had been planning to buy a Backscatter Flip 7 when I got my new GoPro, but come to find out the H8 requires a new underwater housing because they changed the lens port, and the Flip 7 won't work with it. The folks there tell me they're working on a new design for the H8, but it won't be available until January sometime, which is too late for me.

Anyone know of any solution that will work with the new H8 / H8 underwater housing?

Thanks!
Polar Pro:

Red Filter | HERO8 Black Protective Housing

Edit - I see this was already linked - sorry for the duplicate , but it is your only option at present if you must shoot with a filter. I prefer not to lose any light and switched to color correcting in post processing.

I heard Feb 2020.

@Joneill Out of curiosity, what do you use for that and is it easy to do? Are there any drawbacks to doing it that way?
You can use Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro or DaVinci Resolve (that one is free). It's certainly extra effort to learn the software and extra time to do the editing but it can give the best possible results.

The Dive+ app is pretty much automatic and actually does a pretty good job as well:

Dive+ : We Love Ocean

Here is an unedited clip (GoPro 7, no filter, GoPro Color setting):

And here is same clip saved from Dive+ auto correction:
BTW - sadly the real clown here is the dive master in the upper right who seemed to have no issue with leaning/dragging his fins on/across the coral - unbelievable!

Alrighty then. Final Cut or Resolve it is (I would never use Premiere by choice). Thanks for the tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom