drysuit for cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the exception rather than the rule, sadly.

yes it is but my statement is still accurate when responding to "doesn't everyone"

No, not everyone does. I worked for a dc and used one piece of kit we sold. I would not dive anything else sold there and luckily I was not forced to dive it just to make sales.

I dive and recommend what I believe in and won't compromise that for anyone.

That's the exception rather than the rule, sadly.

Just playing devils advocate here.. I have worked in a sales industry for years. It’s pretty bad PR if your employees don’t use your products. Especially if it’s a competitive offering. I have noticed a pretty common practice for shop staff to be able to buy gear at steep discounts. Not just to rep a brand, but to be an expert in what the shop sells.

If your shop is selling crap gear that you can’t honestly endorse, then why are you working there! If there is really nothing wrong with the gear, but you are just a stubborn pita, you wouldn’t be working for me. *not accounting for time it might take to sell and buy new gear for a new employee etc.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don’t see anything wrong with the person who signs your check, asking you to help promote the shop brands. If it violates your conscience, then how can you possible be a good rep for that shop?

I suppose my other thought, when I posted that initial comment was directed at reps (and shops) who switch brands. I have personally spent > $2k on a new “custom” fitted drysuit largely influence by the brand representative’s reputation and endorsement. Within 6 months, that rep switched brands and now fronts for the new “best drysuit money can buy”. Same goes for a buddy who dropped several $grand on cave/tech gear for a specific shop. And a year later seemed to be “all in” for another brand. My buddy voiced a “WTF” sentiment, when he bought gear in part with an assumption of a long term shop relationship and support.

I think. Local dive shops who are struggling to compete with internet sales would be wise to consider the long term impact of knee jerk brand loyalty changes.

BARE HDC Tech Expedition "cave cut". Strong trilam drysuit with kevlar in the right places, and a slim cave cut that will help reduce drag. It's not cheap but it's good and should last a long time. I did have a problem with the zipper on mine, but bare replaced the zipper under warranty.

If it's in your budget, you won't be disappointed.

I’ve used a 7mm wetsuit in the cenotes and was way too hot. I was literally steaming when I emerged. I changed to an old compressed 3mm and was somewhat cold. It seemed like a 5mm would have been best.

I would prefer to use a dry suit though because it provides backup buoyancy in the cenotes. I had not considered using my Waterproof D10 because I assumed it would be much warmer than a 5mm. Do you think I should try it? I hate the idea of hauling it all the way to Mexico if I won’t use it.
I think he means a neoprene drysuit, rather than a shell style drysuit. For example, check out the seaskin Ultra (rather than the Nova most people purchase). It’s outer layer is made from crushed 3 mm neoprene, meaning it’s pretty rugged and also provides some warmth, compared to a shell. With one of those, You could get away with Simple underarmour style undergarments.

Just playing devils advocate here.. I have worked in a sales industry for years. It’s pretty bad PR if your employees don’t use your products. Especially if it’s a competitive offering. I have noticed a pretty common practice for shop staff to be able to buy gear at steep discounts. Not just to rep a brand, but to be an expert in what the shop sells.

If your shop is selling crap gear that you can’t honestly endorse, then why are you working there! If there is really nothing wrong with the gear, but you are just a stubborn pita, you wouldn’t be working for me. *not accounting for time it might take to sell and buy new gear for a new employee etc.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don’t see anything wrong with the person who signs your check, asking you to help promote the shop brands. If it violates your conscience, then how can you possible be a good rep for that shop?

I suppose my other thought, when I posted that initial comment was directed at reps (and shops) who switch brands. I have personally spent > $2k on a new “custom” fitted drysuit largely influence by the brand representative’s reputation and endorsement. Within 6 months, that rep switched brands and now fronts for the new “best drysuit money can buy”. Same goes for a buddy who dropped several $grand on cave/tech gear for a specific shop. And a year later seemed to be “all in” for another brand. My buddy voiced a “WTF” sentiment, when he bought gear in part with an assumption of a long term shop relationship and support.

I think. Local dive shops who are struggling to compete with internet sales would be wise to consider the long term impact of knee jerk brand loyalty changes.

Yes we can buy gear at discounts but I do not think owning the gear makes me an expert. I used to sell spare parts to the U.S. Military for MRO. I have never used a desalinization pump nor do I own one but I was an expert when it came to selling it to the military. Same with many other things we sold.

You asked why I would work somewhere that sold crappy gear. Well, because they hired me and I wanted a job in the industry. I do not have to love the gear they sell to like the dive center itself. Some of the gear they sold was terrible, other stuff was not bad at all. However when you are expected to have your own gear, it does not make sense to also make staff buy the gear you sell. It is one way or the other.

You have made assumptions that are incorrect. I was never asked to promote the shop brands by using the gear therefore it never violated my conscience. I sold plenty of items for the shop but made sure to never recommend the items or brand(s) I felt were bad. I would not talk bad about those brands but I would not talk good either.

I bought a Fourth Element wetsuit from that shop because I really believed in the brand. I wore it all the time and would recommend it to our divers. I also would recommend the bp/w setups we offered even though I did not dive them personally.

I know many shops in the U.S. that make instructors wear what they sell in shop. I have no issue with that at all if that was a condition of employment. What I do have an issue with is the same thing you have an issue with. Shops with zero brand loyalty and jump from being a Scubapro center one month to Atomic the next and then to Apeks. (just examples) How can customers be loyal if they can't be loyal?

On this we agree!

The D10 I have is a compressed neoprene and I was wondering if I would find that too warm in Tulum.

I think he means a neoprene drysuit, rather than a shell style drysuit. For example, check out the seaskin Ultra (rather than the Nova most people purchase). It’s outer layer is made from crushed 3 mm neoprene, meaning it’s pretty rugged and also provides some warmth, compared to a shell. With one of those, You could get away with Simple underarmour style undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom