Chernobyl divers - truth or legend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen, but condemn it!
I read many responses about this movie.(Suppose, it have to be vieved)
It has some very significant mistakes (or even possible to call it antisoviet insults).

If somebody really interesting of this theme - you can read some books, and most important is: (all of them was not writers or journalists from far beyond. All of them - is First persons.)
Dyatlov Anatoly: Chernobil - How it was. А.С.Дятлов. Чернобыль. Как это было - he is first person, who works on main control room of block 4 on the disaster day.
Kalinichenko Valentina - How it was Как это было. Валентина Калиниченко - participant of actions for removing disaster impacts.
Mirny Sergey - Manpower. Diary of responder. Живая сила. Дневник ликвидатора - one of hired responders.
Gubarev Vladimir - Glow over Pripyat. Зарево над Припятью: Записки Журналиста (Губарев В.С.) - Journalist, who was there in most hot spots
Legasov Valery - Disaster on ChNPP and Nuclear Energy Легасов Валерий - Авария на ЧАЭС и атомная энергетика СССР - one of main developers of reactors.
Karpan Nikolay - Revenge of peaceful atom. Link1 or О чернобыльской аварии ( Н.В.Карпан) - was deputy chief engineer of ChNPP.

and please, do not read S. Aleksievich (Noble prize winner). His books looks like is not information, but just cry.

If somebody really interesting of this theme - you be able to read this books over GoogleTranslator, or find it in translation.

I've seen bits of the HBO miniseries and read some of the commentary. A number of things were altered for storytelling (perhaps the most glaring being that the large team of scientists participating in the disaster response is condensed down to Emily Watson's character). There's a good list of them here: Chernobyl / Artistic License - TV Tropes

Out of the list you provided, Legasov is the main character and and Dyatlov features heavily; the former is portrayed sympathetically and the latter unsympathetically (with some good reason; the RBMK reactor was a flawed and unsafe design to begin with and he pushed the test through even though the reactor was well outside safe parameters).

Overall the impression I get is that some liberties were taken with history (and distinct parallels were drawn in interviews between the obstinate Soviet bureaucracy shown in the miniseries and the current resistance to taking action against climate change, so there's a bit of an Aesop written in) ... but I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "anti-Soviet insult" and some of the events shown were toned down from what actually happened. Given events since the series aired, it seems some of those objecting didn't learn anything from the 1986 accident: Nyonoksa radiation accident - Wikipedia

my god they were world class hero's saved hundreds if not thousands , of people knowing what would happen to them .......

Many thanks for posting this amazing story. Much respect from the Midwest.

DW

I just finished watching the HBO miniseries. The final episode had pictures of the real people, follow-up on their lives, and noted where they took liberties.

For another harrowing nuclear story, look up the Windscale meltdown. Similar issues... things were built not quite to spec due to deadlines and push for testing...

Anyway, here are some screen shots from the HBO miniseries. They never hook up the double hose to the mask and the tanks.

IMG_20211016_2251262.jpg

IMG_20211016_2252066.jpg

IMG_20211016_2252182.jpg

IMG_20211016_2252333.jpg

IMG_20211016_2305100.jpg

IMG_20211016_2305116.jpg

Back
Top Bottom