Nervous and Conflicted about my first actual dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can argue at least 3 of the 6 under certain conditions, but the point of the blog is "six things that can help you avoid most accidents." Not 6 things to follow blindly no matter what. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with "Just exhale a tiny stream of bubbles until you can resume breathing normally" even under your conditions.
I get that. Just not a fan of dumbing down information to the lowest common denominator. Students will typically meet the bar that an instructor sets. Set it low, they meet it. Set it high, they will as well.

I get that. Just not a fan of dumbing down information to the lowest common denominator. Students will typically meet the bar that an instructor sets. Set it low, they meet it. Set it high, they will as well.
I believe the author would agree with your statement, see for example: Four Keys to Teaching Real Buoyancy Control - Cave Diver Harry or Put the checklist down, focus on real ability - Cave Diver Harry . But it's not relevant to the article I linked. The author never claimed you could boil all of diving down to 6 rules. In fact, he specifically states the opposite:
You can sum up most of what divers need to do to be safe under water in just six simple rules. While there is certainly a lot more that divers should know, it is these six things that can help you avoid most accidents. Not only that, these rules can help make diving easier and a whole lot more enjoyable.

I was certified in March with OW and AOW right after, and since then I have 6 "real" dives. I still get anxious/nervous before I dive. I think it's pretty normal at this stage. However as soon as I am on the boat and about to get in, it pretty much goes away. This past trip I did my first real dives deeper than 30ft, down to 60ft. I too just have a mental block about depth, even though I've been down to 100ft with AOW. In the 60ft dive I quickly felt super comfortable when I looked at my computer and saw we were at 65ft, and it felt exactly the same as being at 30ft.

The ear thing I wouldn't worry too much about. As others have said, just take your time. I constantly equalize, even when I don't feel the need to. It's almost out of habit at this point.

Also on my previous dives, we did a 2 tank dive. It was me, a guide, and one other lady. The lady has 20+ years of experience diving. On our first dive everything went smooth. On the second dive, she had issues equalizing at about 20ft or so. It took her a good 5 minutes to figure it out but she eventually got it.

My point about that is even experienced divers can have problems, and it can be one offs, so I think you will be able to work through it just fine.

Oh and about the mucus, pretty much every time I come up from a dive it's gross in my nose and I have snot dripping out lol. I thought that was normal.

I think the only divers without post dive snot are Mark Nelson and James Bond.

Towards the end of you dive is a good time to practice a mask remove and replace. While it's off, you can donate your stored snot to Neptune :D

I think the only divers without post dive snot are Mark Nelson and James Bond.
And me. Who's Mark Nelson?

He’s Mike’s cousin and stunt double.

Just a quick update. I went on 2 more shore dives with 2 instructor. Skipped the first boat outing (which is also near shore, just a different part of island). Had a much better/easier experience.. was able to clear my ears/equalize a lot easier. Thank God. Only 2 mistakes I made. 1. Accidentally went to 90 ft without realizing it. The instructor was trying to signal for me to ascend
2. Took my Android phone with me.. I instinctively stuck it in my pocket on our break before proceeding prepping for the next dive. I assume it's a goner. Ironically, I was enjoying my dive so much that after I realized it was there, I didnt bother trying to rush anything and wasn't to upset about it. @jonhall I had to pay $615 for my one way flight to get to Bonaire

Glad things are working out.
If that phone still works let me know which model it is because I will be rushing out to get one :wink:

Let's be careful here about bashing the instructor. I know him and can attest the exact opposite in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom