Dual using cylinders as sidemount and stage cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the linked DiveRite discussion of styles of bungees, one advantage they give of the Ring bungee is:
It is easy to convert a stage bottle into a primary sidemount tank by adding a choker to the top bolt snap.

I read it, but it only works if you use DiveRite's ring style bungees. On the picture it also looks like this is less stream lined than the other systems. There's probably always going to be some compromise when you want to do something like what I'm looking for.

2) you can if it is a really small space and the only way through is to superman a tank... and even though you get really head heavy - its already small! You are stuck moving through the hole that you have to work with anyway, being head heavy doesnt matter.

That's a very good point, thanks for pointing it out to me.

I read it, but it only works if you use DiveRite's ring style bungees. On the picture it also looks like this is less stream lined than the other systems. There's probably always going to be some compromise when you want to do something like what I'm looking for.

The picture of the ring bungee setup looks slightly better than the loop and other bungee setups on that page ... YMMV

The trick with the ring bungee is you really have to get them really short (up towards your back), as the hardware can add on quite some length to the system. I had to add a second quick link to achieve that.

Shorter bungee = less stretch to get them attached

So I mount them on my harness from the opposite side, so the bungee cross behind my back first to get more length to get some stretch back.

For the tanks, standard stage rigging, but rotated 180deg along with a neck choker.

One day (when I’m thinking about it), i’ll switch out the diverite choker with a piece of paracord instead.

I went with the ring bungee as I do quite a bit of boat diving and have some rough terrain getting in/out of the water for shore dives. It allows the system to hang on metal vs the bungee (the bungee does stretch, but i’ve allowed it to with the extra length on my back), and the tanks hang vertical along my center of gravity.

Other methods, you’d have to remove a set of rigging to switch back and forth between stage and sidemount rigging.

_R

One day (when I’m thinking about it), i’ll switch out the diverite choker with a piece of paracord instead.

On one set of my tanks, I replaced the DR Chokers with a prusik loop of 1/4” bungee. This allows me a little for give, when clipping in and seems to work ok to keep the bolt snap
Tight to the neck when in the water. YMMV

Thank you for explaining that. But how do you know then what the physical size of the tanks are? You calculate it using the cuft and the pressure?

I calculate the working pressure of the cylinders in liters (5568L) and then I just go to google and type "5568L to cu ft" and google does the rest.

I went with the ring bungee as I do quite a bit of boat diving and have some rough terrain getting in/out of the water for shore dives. It allows the system to hang on metal vs the bungee (the bungee does stretch, but i’ve allowed it to with the extra length on my back), and the tanks hang vertical along my center of gravity.

I've seen people how tie a piece of thick bungee around the tanks neck and use that clip the tanks to the shoulder d rings with a double ender. Wouldn't that achieve the same result?

Similar but not quite as secure as a metal to metal connection like the ring system offers. It’s not if bungee snaps it’s when.
That being said it does the job if you’re not using the rings.

I've seen people how tie a piece of thick bungee around the tanks neck and use that clip the tanks to the shoulder d rings with a double ender. Wouldn't that achieve the same result?

So that the tank hangs way below your chest?

Nope, not the same thing... the attachment point needs to be up by your shoulder blade/rear ribs.

Now if they do that as they exit the water, to help take the weight off the bungee, then yes it is similar, but the ring bungee pulls the tank back online with your COG while walking.

Also, if you have to move in the water with the double ender clip, it’s going to suck... a lot.

_R

Now if they do that as they exit the water, to help take the weight off the bungee, then yes it is similar, but the ring bungee pulls the tank back online with your COG while walking.

That's what I meant to explain, but also an important detail that I left out :-s They use the double ender to hold the tanks in place when getting in and out of the water.

That's what I meant to explain, but also an important detail that I left out :-s They use the double ender to hold the tanks in place when getting in and out of the water.

Late with this reply....

With loop binges, the bungee length is longer, causing the tank to be forward of your COG compared to the ring bungee (former loop bungee user)

Just found a well setup ring bungee works better for me with no hassle of converting anything between "biped" and "dive" modes. YMMV
_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom