Greetings from the Canadian Prairies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Dad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello Dive Community,

To be honest, I'm not in it for me (but I think I'm going to enjoy this adventure).

First of all, yes... I am from Saskatchewan, in the heart of land locked Canada. But dont let that fool you, we actually have a pretty active dive community in our not so little province. While most people think of wheat fields and cattle when they think of Saskatchewan (if they think of us at all), I actually live in lake county. Saskatchewan has over 100,000 lakes and some interesting dive opportunities!

On top of living in lake country, my family has fallen in love with the Hawaiian Isles and travel annually for our winter vacation. Because of this, my son has grown up to love the water (his first time with a mask an snorkel was at Haunauma Bay at 2 years old). Combined with a love of science I suggested diving might be a natural fit for him and he enthusiastically agreed.

This weekend we are signed up to begin our open water Certification with one of the local dive shops and we are looking forward to finishing our completion dives in Maui in April (any suggestions for operators?)

I welcome the opportunity to get to know the dive community and learn from you all.

Who knows, maybe we'll dive together someday... but dont hold your breath ;-)

Cheers,
Diver_Dad

Welcome from a former Westerner (well, Northerner--most of 25 years in Thompson, MB), and Grad. (M.Music) of U. of R.
Where will you consider diving in your area? I am familiar with the area and probably have been in your town of Waskesiu Lake, as well as most of N. Sask. & up to Wollaston L.
There is another SB member from Sask., but I haven't seen a post from him in a while. Anyway, let us know how the course goes.
Enjoy a Whopper at the B.K. in P.A.

It's nice to hear from those of us in the cold white north.

You might want to do some basic searches under Maui and/or pick a couple of shops close to your accommodation, check the reviews on FB and SB and make a choice. Or....better still, your local dive shop may have a recommendation for you. Good luck....

Welcome to the Board Diver_Dad. This site is terrific for diving information. Enjoy your diving learning experience. Unfortunately the last time I was in Maui was 30+ years ago and at the time was not a diver. Hence I am not in a position to provide any enlightenment. :D

Welcome!

Might see you at some of the lakes next year, GF is relocating to Saskatoon at the end of the year, so I’ll be heading in that direction more frequently.

_R

Waskesiu Lake is located in the heart of Prince Albert National Park and there are a few lakes in the park I think would be worth diving. But I think next season will see my son and I building a relationship with the local clubs and tagging along to gain experience. I do know Waskesiu sees divers a few times each summer so I'll keep my ears open.

I've just started exploring SB so I hope to find more info on Maui (already found a few helpful threads).

Welcome my fellow Canuck!

Back
Top Bottom