Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That seems like a bit of an overreaction. AFAIK, nobody’s Teric is discharging so quickly that can’t get at least a full day, if not 2, from one that was charged over night. In other words, I think @Larryjd1 is right. People (generally speaking) aren’t missing dives because of the Teric battery. It’s just a potential annoyance to have to charge it more often than you might like.

Both my wife's and my Teric's were. To be fair, we had very early Teric production models (purchased first week they were sold). Our Terics would go from 100%-15% on a single day of 2-3 tank recreational diving. Both batteries were bad. Shearwater initially replaced both (excellent customer service) batteries and sent them back to us. After the battery replacement both our Teric's suffered depth/temp sensor failures (more or less the only original part left in our first units), and Shearwater sent us brand new Terics.

We still love and dive our Terics. We both recently purchased Perdix AIs to be our backup computer in all fairness.

I started playing with my brand new Teric and I admit I was disappointed at first that I could not configure the screen the way I wanted, the manual mentioned only on the customization of the info row do I figured what I wanted was impossible to get. But lo and behold just playing with the unit I discovered I could customize more than the manual mentioned and I finally got the result I wanted:

3A888120-ECBA-4317-8444-B674A4C7EABF.jpeg

I started playing with my brand new Teric and I admit I was disappointed at first that I could not configure the screen the way I wanted, the manual mentioned only on the customization of the info row do I figured what I wanted was impossible to get. But lo and behold just playing with the unit I discovered I could customize more than the manual mentioned and I finally got the result I wanted:

View attachment 551749
You also need to read the release notes for the latest software (v16 at the moment IIRC). New/changed features are outlined in there that may not be in the "manual", depending on when it was last revised. Also look back through the changes made in the prior versions that are contained in the current version release note document.

Can anyone let me know how good a Teric fits when drysuit diving vs a Perdrix. Thanks

sri-55085-01_2.jpg
Can anyone let me know how good a Teric fits when drysuit diving vs a Perdrix. Thanks

I have not dove the teric with a drysuit but I have with a 7mm wetsuit, so pretty thick. The teric includes a 2nd long strap that attaches to the main watch straps. With a 7mm suit I only used about 1/2 of the available strap extension length so there was still plenty more room.

Thanks! I'm going to try the Choetech. The cradle permits or causes the Teric to lose battery charge level once the green light starts flashing and the actual charging is complete. Don't know if that is a defect in the cradle or not so it would be good to know your experience before I make any assumptions.
Hi @applecorps

As I promised several days ago, I used my Choetech pad to charge my Teric yesterday. Once the Teric reached a full charge, I left it on the pad an additional 15 minutes or so. When I took it off, the Teric still showed a full charge, but was noticeably warm. As I’ve not had any issues using the Shearwater cradle, I’ll continue to use it while I’m at home, and bring the Choetech when I travel.

View attachment 553431

I have not dove the teric with a drysuit but I have with a 7mm wetsuit, so pretty thick. The teric includes a 2nd long strap that attaches to the main watch straps. With a 7mm suit I only used about 1/2 of the available strap extension length so there was still plenty more room.

Do you find the extension good and secure?

Do you find the extension good and secure?

It is secure when on. When there is no pressure on the band it is less secure. A longer NATO strap, I think they are sold now, would be a better solution if you use the longer strap frequently.

A longer NATO strap, I think they are sold now, would be a better solution if you use the longer strap frequently.
I purchased a NATO strap for my Teric to protect against a single pin failure.

Orange HD NATO - 22mm Ballistic Nylon | Crown & Buckle

I can use it by itself when diving a 3/2 suit, but I needed a longer strap to get over my 7mm suit and glove, yet I didn't want an extremely long single strap since I wear it on my wrist when traveling to from dive sites or while on trips.

I purchased a second strap as an extension for when needed that doesn't have the rings for the watch/Teric.

The Z3™ Ballistic Nylon w/ PVD Hardware By NATO Strap Co.(℠) | eBay

Back
Top Bottom