Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^ this has been my biggest concern. I dove with a computer that had a watch style band and an extender when diving dry. At one point i was diving in florida and looked at my arm to find my computer was missing!! Fortunately i found it with a couple minutes of retracing my dive, but found that one of the pins had failed and that was enough for the whole computer to effortlessly sink to the bottom . For that reason a double bungee is a must in my opinion.

The original bracelet on the Teric seems pretty good quality, I would be surprised if a pin would break.

I purchased a NATO strap for my Teric to protect against a single pin failure.

Orange HD NATO - 22mm Ballistic Nylon | Crown & Buckle

I can use it by itself when diving a 3/2 suit, but I needed a longer strap to get over my 7mm suit and glove, yet I didn't want an extremely long single strap since I wear it on my wrist when traveling to from dive sites or while on trips.

I purchased a second strap as an extension for when needed that doesn't have the rings for the watch/Teric.

The Z3™ Ballistic Nylon w/ PVD Hardware By NATO Strap Co.(℠) | eBay

If you're going to carry a second strap with you, just so you can "add it" when you get to the dive site, why not just have a long strap and a short strap? Use the short strap when traveling to/from dive sites. Swap to the long strap (instead of adding a 2nd short strap) when you get there. You can change a NATO strap just as quickly as adding an extender.

I have a small neoprene pouch (sold as a sunglass case, I think) for each of my Terics. I keep a long and a short NATO strap in each pouch. One installed on the Teric and the other in there to swap to whenever needed.

If you're going to carry a second strap with you, just so you can "add it" when you get to the dive site, why not just have a long strap and a short strap?
Certainly a valid suggestion!

It's been a while now since I purchased the first strap, and I do remember looking at quite a number of different options. Can't remember if a longer one was unavailable for some reason or I just never came across it. @stuartv would you mind providing a link if you have it - I'm sure it might save others some time.

Either way you still end up buying two straps, but you would end up with one less buckle.

I tried a Choetech charger and it is a worse solution since it did not stop charging once the the Teric battery was fully charged causing the battery to begin to overheat. Fortunately, the Teric sent out an "overheating" alarm and was not damaged after I quickly removed it. Still looking for Shearwater to update or replace all the cradle chargers so that they function as a "trickle charger" maintaining the battery at a minimum of 90% charge. They claim that they are working on it . . . but it's been many weeks since I heard that. In the meantime, this is a big disappointment in the Teric product.

Anyone using the bullbars or screen protectors with their Teric?
I think bullbars could be a good idea but they block the visibility of the screen to some extent.
I wonder if there are other practical solution to protect Teric from banging it against objects, etc
The world of scuba can be rough and this is a delicate device...

I bought the bullbars; used them once; found the screen blockage to be sufficiently annoying that I haven't (and probably won't) use them again.

I use the screen protectors . . buy them online under the Glass Pro+ Screen Protection. Good protection at a small price.

I started charging my battery 12 hours ago, and left it on the charger once full. After 5 hours (7 hours post charge) ~it started dropping by just under 2%/hour on average (when full, up to 5 hours it was still displaying 100%). Not massive, but it was being slightly consumed.

I'm wondering if your battery @applecorps has other performance issues which are exacerbating this effect?

I tried a Choetech charger and it is a worse solution since it did not stop charging once the the Teric battery was fully charged causing the battery to begin to overheat. Fortunately, the Teric sent out an "overheating" alarm and was not damaged after I quickly removed it. Still looking for Shearwater to update or replace all the cradle chargers so that they function as a "trickle charger" maintaining the battery at a minimum of 90% charge. They claim that they are working on it . . . but it's been many weeks since I heard that. In the meantime, this is a big disappointment in the Teric product.

I'm not sure of the magnitude of this battery % drop issue (whilst sitting charged on the charger). Apart from the semi-monitored day time charges, if others are charging it overnight for example, they'd barely see an effect (assuming they put it on a charger prior to sleeping, and didn't sleep like Snow white).

I'm not sure of the magnitude of this battery % drop issue (whilst sitting charged on the charger). Apart from the semi-monitored day time charges, if others are charging it overnight for example, they'd barely see an effect (assuming they put it on a charger prior to sleeping, and didn't sleep like Snow white).
Jay, maybe I used a different charger. Which specific model charger were you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom