No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it's really easy to take my own bags into stores, but then I generally know what I am going in for and stick to the plan. Not much of a shopper. I keep them in the backseat of my car, wash them now & then, and keep them clean to use.

Last trip, I took a backpack & large shopping bag to Mega, but they had me check those in. After I shopped & paid, I then took my cart to check-in to retrieve my bags and put theirs inside my sturdier ones. I'd found a great sale on Kahlua and didn't want to risk dropping the bottles.

I think the plastic shopping bags I got from Mega eventually came home with me and got used for trash bags.

I guess single use is better than double use.
Huh?

Can you still buy plastic bags? We will need a few and we usually use the grocery bags. I guess single use is better than double use.

When the cashier told me they no longer have plastic bags I asked if they had paper :wink: When I asked her if they had bags we could buy she pointed out the fabric bags so I would say they do not sell plastic bags We ended up with a nice zipper bag that says "Cozumel" and "mexico" and such on it Now that I think about it I think some of the vendors might be selling big beach bags for 4 for $10 us or around there which would make them a better deal and two would probably be plenty for most people

When the cashier told me they no longer have plastic bags I asked if they had paper :wink: When I asked her if they had bags we could buy she pointed out the fabric bags so I would say they do not sell plastic bags We ended up with a nice zipper bag that says "Cozumel" and "mexico" and such on it Now that I think about it I think some of the vendors might be selling big beach bags for 4 for $10 us or around there which would make them a better deal and two would probably be plenty for most people
If they don't sell plastic bags the toilet paper dance will be less fun.

Boat bags are pricey but they last forever. I have one or 2 in the trunk of the car and use them when buying groceries.

I get great cloth shopping bags at my favorite thrift store, a buck each. Leftovers from estate sales probably. Wash them and good to go.

I've picked up several back packs there too, a buck each. Handy for when we take some of my daughter's students on hikes. Some were better than others I used myself.

I get great cloth shopping bags at my favorite thrift store, a buck each. Leftovers from estate sales probably. Wash them and good to go.

I've picked up several back packs there too, a buck each. Handy for when we take some of my daughter's students on hikes. Some were better than others I used myself.
What do you use in your trash cans?

What do you use in your trash cans?
Well, I have a couple of 30 gallon cans in my garage, one for trash and the other for recyclables. I bought some heavy duty liners for those for transport, but use them over & over.

I use kitchen bags in that can, but it's slow to fill as I compost so much. Slower on my current diet.

For the one gallon cans around the house, nothing. They're easy to wash when needed. When I do forget to take enough cloth bags into a store and end up with plastic shopping bags, I save those for recycling at a different drop.

Now the “experts” say the “permanent, reusable” synthetic bags they sell at the grocery stores us are a problem for the environment (see link). So, Mega is starting to offer paper bags. Didn’t they tell us once before that we couldn’t use paper bags anymore to save the trees and that disposable plastic bags were better? This whole thing reminds me of grade school fads.

Reusable plastic shopping bags are actually making the problem worse, not better

Didn’t they tell us once before that we couldn’t use paper bags anymore to save the trees
Yeah, but they farm those trees enough that I never bought that. It'd be better if we grew enough industrial hemp to take over that market, but that's a new revival that is going to hurt a lot of farmers for a while. I recycle all that I can - plastic, cardboard, metal, carefully dispose of all trash, and I even started carrying a tube of paper straws - except I've all but quit soft drinks.

I still like the reusable bags tho and take my own. I got them at my favorite thrift store. They were originally sold as promotional materials, the owners tired of them, and I'm glad to pay $1 each to the charity for them. I wash them now & then, carry them everywhere, use them often.

Now the “experts” say the “permanent, reusable” synthetic bags they sell at the grocery stores us are a problem for the environment (see link). So, Mega is starting to offer paper bags. Didn’t they tell us once before that we couldn’t use paper bags anymore to save the trees and that disposable plastic bags were better? This whole thing reminds me of grade school fads.

Reusable plastic shopping bags are actually making the problem worse, not better

Every time I reflect upon this and similar issues I come to the conclusion that, in order to save the world, we need to change our lifestyle to one where we don't need bags. No other creature on this planet needs bags or resorts or cars etc and they'd probably be getting along just fine if we weren't here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom