Mexico vs Florida (better training caves)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it sounds like the improved awareness that some have said students might gain from training in MX as opposed to FL simply comes from having been able to spend more time looking around. If that's the case, I would think regardless of whether a diver trains in MX or FL, he could improve his awareness just by doing more diving in MX.

Yes. This was strictly in the narrow context of specific class and location combination and also in an ideal world. Gaining experience in both MX and FL environments outside of class would be good and the same could be said about vis-a-versa.

Since you and I know a little bit about each other and I know your Cave 1 or Cavern/Intro will be Florida based I would recommend Full Cave in MX if you can swing it--plenty of deep stuff to get into deco. Accommodations, airfare, food, in MX you would be surprised how reasonable the prices can be.

Yes. This was strictly in the narrow context of specific class and location combination and also in an ideal world. Gaining experience in both MX and FL environments outside of class would be good and the same could be said about vis-a-versa.

Since you and I know a little bit about each other and I know your Cave 1 or Cavern/Intro will be Florida based I would recommend Full Cave in MX if you can swing it--plenty of deep stuff to get into deco. Accommodations, airfare, food, in MX you would be surprised how reasonable the prices can be.

Right now, I'm thrilled simply to have finally gotten to Intro level and able to have FUN again just diving, as opposed to endlessly practicing skills. I'm keeping the wisdom I may glean from threads like this one in the back of my mind for when the time comes to advance, but for the time being, I'm blissfully enjoying not thinking about courses. The 40-minute Intro-level dives I have been doing in FL over the past couple of months are an improvement over not being in caves at all, however, I have booked a week of guided cave diving in Puerto Aventuras in January and can hardly wait to experience an hour-long dive.

The 40-minute Intro-level dives I have been doing in FL over the past couple of months are an improvement over not being in caves at all, however, I have booked a week of guided cave diving in Puerto Aventuras in January and can hardly wait to experience an hour-long dive.

In your case I think diving with a "new-to-you" instructor is going to be a huge plus.

Which of the two make for a better training environment? Mexico with its shallow depths allowing more bottom time per dive or Florida with high flows?

I did Intro in FL and Cave 2 in Mx. I'm glad I went that route. The FL trip wasn't some big vacation so if I didn't cut it in cave diving or didn't like it, there was less sunk cost. It was a lot earlier in my whole diving career, too.

Cave 2 in Mx was definitely beneficial. I got to see a different type of cave, different use of permanent markers, and different hazards. I was way more attuned to the nuances of the "gold" line in Mx. I was hyper aware of how things can go bad in Mx even if a lot of the line issues have been fixed. I never assumed the line that was tied into a stalagmite but exited on the back side of it was the same line. I looked closely to ensure it was the same line. Same if the line entered the silt. I expect to take the same attitude when I get back to FL caves. But it's not a full appreciation I had from Intro (right or wrong.)

But when I get back to FL I fully intend on hiring a guide to refamiliarize myself with the FL caves. Plus there is other stuff I could use some mentoring on anyway. And while I think I could do an ok job back at the FL caves, I would likely waste time re-figuring it out myself and I want to be efficient with my time off.

If I had just stuck to FL for Intro & Full or Cave 2, I think I would have been a less well-rounded cave diver. (Not that I'm well-rounded now ... I just earned Cave 2 so I've got the license to learn.)

From the perspective of someone who just booked a cave class, I'm not sure I understand the idea of travel to MX being easier. If you're having to fly I can understand, but if you can drive it, I would think it was much easier.

Ginnie is only about 10hrs from my door, so a day in a car and 45$ worth of gas each way. I'm eagerly listening to the other reasoning, and following this thread.

From the perspective of someone who just booked a cave class, I'm not sure I understand the idea of travel to MX being easier. If you're having to fly I can understand, but if you can drive it, I would think it was much easier.

Ginnie is only about 10hrs from my door, so a day in a car and 45$ worth of gas each way. I'm eagerly listening to the other reasoning, and following this thread.

Ginnie is only about 5 hrs from my door by car. There are plenty of nonstops from Atlanta to Cancun. Best of both worlds? :)

I can carry a LOT more gear in my car than in my checked luggage!

Florida versus Mexico for cave diving is a wonderful first-world problem, isn't it?

As I haven't yet taken a Mexico trip to try out my shiny new Intro-to-Cave ticket, I have begun to ponder the question of lugging cave gear to Mexico: How do air-traveling cave divers manage to meet the 50 lb. per bag maximum that most of us are subject to? Or do you just pay for an overweight bag or second bag, figuring that another $55 for a 2nd bag is chump change compared with the $10k you spent on gear and training to get to this point (not to mention the week of guided diving in my case)? I think I just answered my own question. I'll probably have to pony up for a private van from the airport, too. When I used to fly into Cancun for Cozumel reef trips, I traveled light. Now my wife and I will probably take the drysuits, obviously the lights/chargers, reels, spools, etc.

Florida versus Mexico for cave diving is a wonderful first-world problem, isn't it?

As I haven't yet taken a Mexico trip to try out my shiny new Intro-to-Cave ticket, I have begun to ponder the question of lugging cave gear to Mexico: How do air-traveling cave divers manage to meet the 50 lb. per bag maximum that most of us are subject to? Or do you just pay for an overweight bag or second bag, figuring that another $55 for a 2nd bag is chump change compared with the $10k you spent on gear and training to get to this point (not to mention the week of guided diving in my case)? I think I just answered my own question. I'll probably have to pony up for a private van from the airport, too. When I used to fly into Cancun for Cozumel reef trips, I traveled light. Now my wife and I will probably take the drysuits, obviously the lights/chargers, reels, spools, etc.
I don't think I ever went to MX on only one bag.
Getting there is easier than getting back but all the heavy stuff goes in carryon and all the bulky stuff goes in checked.

MX TSA has some bizarre notions about what is a dangerous item.

Y'all within driving distance and/or same time zone as FL and MEX caves need to stop complainin' and think of us poor West coasters. Srsly.

I've done 1 checked bag on all cave trips. My carry-on and roller just end up being abominably heavy with almost all my dive gear in it. The dive stuff that goes in the checked bag are the fins, backplate, wing and Thinsulate undies. Also, clothes and non-diving stuff.

Everything else carry on. All my regs, lights, computers, compass, etc get Tetris-ed into my reg bag which then goes into my personal item backpack. The added benefit of this is that it's much easier at security checkpoints to pull out, show them what's in it and re-pack. If you don't have a reg bag already, this one from DGX is awesome.
I used to put my drysuit in the checked bag as well but have started carrying it on. Just due to the volume, it took up most of my carry on roller bag but I felt it was worth it since I didn't want to deal with a checked bag going missing for a couple of days and the one piece of made-to-measure gear for me not being available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom