I want to know if Pro is for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, free housing and a food allowance (how much?) sounds not too bad. Perhaps if one enjoys the teaching it sounds pretty good. I suppose no disposable income to travel or indulge in other things you may like would be the downside. As well as no ability to save/invest for the future?

Food allowance can be free food at hotels (if your center is at a hotel) which is the moist common. The life is not bad, but it does require some sacrifices. When I left the States to do this, I knew I would likely never retire, have a nice car, high-end gear (laptops, cameras, etc) own a home again and much more but I was ok with that. It is a lifestyle I have chosen to live.

Would I like to be able to afford more dive gear like a Sidemount CCR, a drysuit and a nice camera and rig? Yes I would but the gear I have now is very good! Would I like to be able to travel to take a cave course in Florida or Mexico, maybe a wreck course in the Philippines? Traveling to be taught by the best is something I would love but it is not in the cards at this time. I also want to own my own center/resort but I love the instructor lifestyle. Long days but they are filled with seeing the smiles on people's faces and making friends for life.

Some do this for a few years and get back to the 'real world' but for me, this is my life and I have no desire to give it up.

I admire those who can dive with the added loading of students and all the behind the scenes hassle, or even just dive guiding with the whole customer and behind the scenes hassle - day in day out.

I always hear about low pay, but how much does an average DM/Rec Instructor/Tec Instructor actually make in a first world country? That is, not living some years under some exotic sun and dealing with the low local wages, but actually as a fair comparison within a high GDP country?

I'd imaging way under minimum wage - room (often shared), meals, and $300-400 of combined wages/tips a month in exchange for 6 days a week of 12 hr days. If you get sick and can't work/dive for a week or 2, I have no idea how that affects your compensation package. If you are young and good looking, many dive resorts will kick in a trip once a year back to europe or america that almost always coincides with working the booth at a major dive show which isn't as bad as it sounds since that is a major way to meet new employers.
It's actually a better live than it sounds like and as long as your health stays good it's a lot of fun. If your health goes south, or you end up having to reduce your workload, you'll soon be seeking a new employer.

Michael

as a server does the tips (in the islands ) make the difference , I am a full time instructor last 5 years , I pay my bills .........I live on 4 acres of water front property with a 1200 sq foot garage and a 900 sqft dive shop, and cottage on the property .....I didn't get it threw diving but I do maintain it threw diving , I have picked a niche market to cater too , so am I driving a brand new car every year ?no ..but if I hadn't done an instructor course(s) all those years ago and teaching part time ......I wouldn't have the life style I do ........you have to be adaptable find a niche I did ..

I sit a lot doubt
I don't know if I want to stay with Padi
You help me.

My Daily Job is a HS Administrator and Swimming Coach. I decided to GoPro after my kids left for college. As an empty nest it allows me the ability to travel the world, generally free of cost. Summers, are generally spent outside the US, and Spring Break and Christmas in the Florida Keys. I ended up going with NAUI. During my Rescue and DM training (non NAUI) I got alot of by the books legal answers. During my Training, the shop had 4 student DCS cases in a month. I decided to leave the program, for my own safety. I then meet a NAUI instructor, that was much more open. We bounded and rest is histroy. There are far more PADI Jobs out there, but I found less competition for the NAUI jobs.

as a server does the tips (in the islands ) make the difference , I am a full time instructor last 5 years , I pay my bills .........I live on 4 acres of water front property with a 1200 sq foot garage and a 900 sqft dive shop, and cottage on the property .....I didn't get it threw diving but I do maintain it threw diving , I have picked a niche market to cater too , so am I driving a brand new car every year ?no ..but if I hadn't done an instructor course(s) all those years ago and teaching part time ......I wouldn't have the life style I do ........you have to be adaptable find a niche I did ..

I am guessing your niche is teaching tech?

I have few "niches " I decided I wasn't running after the ow students to sell them a course and over priced gear .........so I have EDUCATED students the best kind, if you offer a good course with a 100 % money back guarantee .......they see what they got in the past ......under promise over deliver ......so the lds they treats them wrong........I get them

I have few "niches " I decided I wasn't running after the ow students to sell them a course and over priced gear .........so I have EDUCATED students the best kind, if you offer a good course with a 100 % money back guarantee .......they see what they got in the past ......under promise over deliver ......so the lds they treats them wrong........I get them

I personally want to get away from teaching OW. I prefer to teach advanced and up and I specialize in sidemount. My niche is SM at the moment and I am developing a bit of a name for it here in this country. My next niche will be CCR at the Mod 1 level. I have ideas as to what other things I want to specialize in but those will take time to get there. In the meantime, I do the courses I can get and I do not rush them. It takes the time it takes for me to see you get comfortable and have a full grasp of the knowledge and skills needed. No two day OW resort course here.

Turk sound like a great way to go , as I said I tend not to chase ow , jut the niche I picked wasn't that but your model sounds great .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom