Philippines: world's leading dive destination (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been diving on the Philippines but I have worked with many Filipinos at my last DC. They stated the diving was good but not great. If I take their word and add into the political mess in that country, I would prefer to go elsewhere.

Also, I rarely trust a list like this. Maybe someone should post a poll here of the best dive destination and see what we as a community come up with.

I think a worthwhile tangent to ask...from the perspective of English-only speakers traveling to dive Raja Ampat (live-aboard I presume) or Komodo (live-aboard or land-based options), not just 'on the boat' but in terms of making one's way through airports, an over-night hotel if you get there a couple days early, etc...how 'easy' (or difficult) is our newbie American dive tourist likely to find it to communicate?

No plans soon, but one of those is on my hope-to-be-blessed-with bucket list. I've noticed the Philippines are closer, but I'd heard those 2 and Papua New Guinea were in the 'best coral reef diving in the world' category, and I hoped to hit one of the 3 before I kick off one of these days. So would be good to know. Thanks.

I've been to various parts of Indonesia many times and only know a couple of words in Bahasa Indonesian, yet I've had little to no trouble. Especially when it comes to the dive areas, its a tourist friendly country.

I think a worthwhile tangent to ask...from the perspective of English-only speakers traveling to dive Raja Ampat (live-aboard I presume) or Komodo (live-aboard or land-based options), not just 'on the boat' but in terms of making one's way through airports, an over-night hotel if you get there a couple days early, etc...how 'easy' (or difficult) is our newbie American dive tourist likely to find it to communicate?

No plans soon, but one of those is on my hope-to-be-blessed-with bucket list. I've noticed the Philippines are closer, but I'd heard those 2 and Papua New Guinea were in the 'best coral reef diving in the world' category, and I hoped to hit one of the 3 before I kick off one of these days. So would be good to know. Thanks.
I'd say the eastern you go in Indonesia, the more difficult it gets.
There are "tourist area pockets" where almost everyone catering to tourism would (almost) understand you providing you avoid long sentences or fancy vocabulary. In Bali almost everyone on the main road speaks english, whereas this is less true if you take a scooter and drive in the inside of the island. Labuan Bajo or Sorong hoteliers will be able to meet you in almost proper english (although you'll be sometimes "surprized" with their way of dealing things... anticipate that something booked doesn't necessarily means it has been, unlike Phils or Thailand.) once you leave your hotel, it's better to have some bahasa (Indonesian language) words in mind like numbers (even though they will show you the price you should pay on a pocket calculator) . Airport is no problem, it can be more difficult with taxi drivers if you don't know precisely where you are going.
When I was traveling Maluku, east Flores or South Sulawesi for instance, I had to bring my bahasa phrasebook (or remember some bahasa words I have used during my 20 years experience in Indonesia) otherwise I would have barely known what to eat, nor found my way.
Clearly you'll need to have some bahasa language survival notions if you want to wander though local markets. But to be honest "survival" bahasa is easy and fun.
On the other hand, North Sulawesi people are quite fluent in english, maybe due to the dominant Christian religion/education.
Bear in mind that the lesser your interlocutor knows english language means the lesser he will be accustomed to tourists, the lesser risk of an intended scam. It's when the folk in front speaks your language that the odds are higher he's after your bucks.
As Chilly says above it's a tourist friendly country, just have some patience and anticipate.

Language is never an issue to stop anyone from travelling anywhere.
English is the de facto official language in this part of the world including Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.
Use common sense and you will be fine.
I first backpacking in SE Asia in late 80s and never look back. It was/is suprising easy to travel around. Of course some places are relatively easy while others quite time consuming but that is part of the fun. As someone said it long time ago: getting there is part of the fun!

I have never been diving on the Philippines but I have worked with many Filipinos at my last DC. They stated the diving was good but not great. If I take their word and add into the political mess in that country, I would prefer to go elsewhere.

Also, I rarely trust a list like this. Maybe someone should post a poll here of the best dive destination and see what we as a community come up with.
Really thats been done over and over here. But there can’t be one best because people are looking for different things.

Any attempts at this are at least more useful if “dive destinations” considered are limited to single islands or regions as appropriate, but especially not choices like “Philippines” or “Indonesia.” Those are political constructs and not a useful way of grouping diving. It may sometimes be more practical or convenient to hit more than one spot if they’re in the same country, but thats not always true either.

As an aside I'm not sure how the "political mess" that has been mentioned in the Philippines affects me as a tourist/diver. I have less problem getting through customs/immigration there than I often have in Canada or the US. I don't stay any longer than necessary in Manila. Once I'm at my dive destination the government is far away.....and that applies to me as well as my Filipino hosts, who are always generous, caring and fun loving.

As an aside I'm not sure how the "political mess" that has been mentioned in the Philippines affects me as a tourist/diver. I have less problem getting through customs/immigration there than I often have in Canada or the US. I don't stay any longer than necessary in Manila. Once I'm at my dive destination the government is far away.....and that applies to me as well as my Filipino hosts, who are always generous, caring and fun loving.

Agreed. The international media is quick to flame the politics of the Philippines, but the reality is that very little, if any, of those politics actually affect tourists, divers, and expats. Besides, every country has its BS.... Plus, Philippines politics will be shifting again soon when this administration is done.

Diving in Philippines is very good.
As for the political "mess", I wonder which country in SE Asia does not has any issue at all?

Political mess , this could only ever happen in poor countries. It would or could never, every every happen in the UK or the US. In the UK the future is clearly mapped out for the next 50 years and everybody knows exactly the direction the country is heading in.

Political mess , this could only ever happen in poor countries. It would or could never, every every happen in the UK or the US. In the UK the future is clearly mapped out for the next 50 years and everybody knows exactly the direction the country is heading in.

:rofl3: :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom