Groceries on a Saturday. The cupboards were bare...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is it with bacon?

No my preference is for less of the need for more imports, ie less cruisers, less development/construction. But that is not going to happen. So my second wish is that Bonaire’s growth, and it is happening, is done intelligently and thoughtfully with an eye to long term environmental consequences and that the powers that be in Bonaire have a plan to control and guide it’s inevitable changes.

The reference to bacon is that the Dutch and Bonaireans don't eat it for breakfast--it's an American/British thing. I can do without the American comfort foods when I'm on vacation in a foreign country. The thing with Bonaire, though, is that very little is produced locally. So maybe the "bacon" is a red herring. Ha ha.

I totally agree that the only hope for Bonaire is controlled growth as you said.

Last time we were on the island (early 2018, unfortunately), the VDT shelves were bare, and we were told by locals that the volume of cruise ship arrivals had spiked so much after the hurricanes that the supply boats had to delay their arrival. There were certainly more of the cruise ships than we'd seen on earlier visits.

The latest issue of the Bonaire Reporter noted that they were extending a pier so that cargo ships could dock when cruise ships were taking up all the dock space. That has caused problems in goods being available.

"Bonaire’s south pier is being extended
40 meters (120 ft) to allow more
room for the Don Andres and other
cargo ships and for safety.
In past months, these ships were unable
to come into port with their goods
due to the cruise ships at the piers, and
residents suffered."

"In 2016, a hurricane devastated
St.Maarten’s port and Bonaire took up the
slack. Yearly cruise visits jumped to180
making Bonaire a cruise ship destination