Whale Sharks 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Splash Dive Center will be scheduling whale shark tours in 2020 but I need to caution you. In 2019 there were no whale shark sightings.

In 2018 we saw whale sharks on less than 1/2 the days we went out. You can check my postings on ScubaBoard for 2018 at WHALE SHARKS 2018

Our dates for 2020 are April 7 to 18, May 7 to 18 and June 5 to 16.

For anyone who wishes to come during those times, you can book other dives with us and then switch to whale shark tours if they show up.

Splash Dive Center will be scheduling whale shark tours in 2020 but I need to caution you. In 2019 there were no whale shark sightings.

In 2018 we saw whale sharks on less than 1/2 the days we went out. You can check my postings on ScubaBoard for 2018 at WHALE SHARKS 2018

Our dates for 2020 are April 7 to 18, May 7 to 18 and June 5 to 16.

For anyone who wishes to come during those times, you can book other dives with us and then switch to whale shark tours if they show up.
Interesting. Any theories as to why? Bad luck or the sharks just didn't show up? Water temperature?

My wife and I will be in Placencia diving April 4-11. We will be diving with Seahorse Dive Center. My wife wants to see a whale shark really bad, so hoping that being down there during full moon will work. Have never been to Placencia, so interested to see something new. Maybe we will cross paths.

From my 2019 experience, Belize is the last place I'd go to see whale sharks. IMO you'ld do as well flushing the money down the toilet.

From my 2019 experience, Belize is the last place I'd go to see whale sharks. IMO you'ld do as well flushing the money down the toilet.
Kharon, why is that? Did you have a bad experience?

He didn't see any whale sharks when he was there. Neither did anyone else. Some how, he has come to put the blame of mother nature's failure to deliver, upon the operator.

He didn't see any whale sharks when he was there. Neither did anyone else. Some how, he has come to put the blame of mother nature's failure to deliver, upon the operator.

No. What I put on the dive op is lying to me that it's the best place in the world to dive with whale sharks when they haven't seen any or only one in a year for a number of years and they knew it was a bucket list issue for me. Telling me that they actively searched for schools of fish using GPS, sonar, and flocks of birds when they actually take divers into open ocean and dump them and have the DM swim around looking for a school of fish. I also fault the dive op for failing to pick me up on the first day of diving for whale sharks and again when I was to get to the airport when leaving for home - almost missing my flight.

I know you are a fan-girl for Splash but since you refuse to ever answer the question of when you last dove with them I can only assume it was too long ago to be relevent. My experience was in 2019. Again I'll ask you - when was the last time you dove with Splash.

Another question is, since the Belize government is considering closing the "whale shark area" completely for a few years to try and get the whale sharks to return, why isn't it a lie to proclaim that they are the best to dive with for whale sharks in the entire world. Simply and completely untrue.

So goodby fan-girl ===> Ignore.

See my post above. Yes an absolutely terrible experience. I could have lived with the experience if there was really any actual chance of diving with whale sharks. Since the chances of that occuring were slim to none I'm not inclined to overlook the bad.

There's a huge difference between having a real chance to see them and they don't show up and having only the remotest of chances of them showing up. The first is bad luck. The second is p1$$1ng into the wind. Since the dive op knew the chance was nill (see their post in this thread above) I was lied to and I don't take that kindly.

Oh gosh. Not again.

Kharon, it really pains me to see you accusing two very good friends of mine, Ralph and Patty, of being liars. I know that not to be true, but I also know trying to persuade you otherwise is fruitless so I'm not going to try.

So you didn't have a good experience down there. I'm sorry for that. I've dived with them over many years and have always enjoyed a great experience, which is a big reason why I keep going back.

Missing a ride sucks. Not seeing WSs sucks. Got it. But man, the vitriol...can you at least tone down the insults, including Chilly? Try to pretend we're all sitting around a kitchen table talking about diving in Belize instead of the anonymity that comes with typing at a computer. Be a kinder, gentler Kharon, ok?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom