Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hit 74 once in February but that was due to a fresh water underground spring, 77-78 was the normal temp that trip.

Same underwater fresh water springs will show the same 74 in summer. You can recognize them by the fuzzy look of the water which is actually a halo cline (mix of fresh and salt water).

Dave

And what will we learn from the short closure?
My prediction is that we will learn what we already suspected - that the presence or absence of divers near the reef has no effect on the spread of the White Blight on stony corals. Whether those in power who control divers' access to the reefs will acknowledge it, though, is another question.

Same underwater fresh water springs will show the same 74 in summer. You can recognize them by the fuzzy look of the water which is actually a halo cline (mix of fresh and salt water).

Dave
Ya we saw the shimmering water. Another indicator was that I noticed during our SI that my toes were a little blueish.

What’s the reef closure status and plan? I just looked for an update on closure and related news and found nothing. Can anyone, like maybe @Christi, give us an update or share a good news source for the same?

I have it on excellent authority that the reefs will be open on December 15 as previously stated.

There is a committee who has been meeting twice a week for the past few months to establish some new rules for the marine park. December 15th is the date that is officially stated in all the documents that the authorities are preparing with the members of the committee that are working on it on behalf the operators.

I have it on excellent authority that the reefs will be open on December 15 as previously stated.

There is a committee who has been meeting twice a week for the past few months to establish some new rules for the marine park. December 15th is the date that is officially stated in all the documents that the authorities are preparing with the members of the committee that are working on it on behalf the operators.

@Christi Thanks for the update. I sure hope your Blue XT and the other dive ops have and will prosper during this ordeal and healthy waters return to Cozumel.

#15 with a bullet!

In less than four days, with 340 replies, this thread has now made the first page of Cozumel posts ranked by number of replies, right behind TS Rita, but still lagging several roll call threads. It's still got a long way to go to reach the number one post by number of replies, "The Swine Flu thing" at 741.OTE]

For anyone who cares, congratulations! This thread now holds the #1 spot for replies in the Cozumel sub-forum (even after discounting metadata posts like this one). It's been 10 years since the original "The Swine Flu Thing" post - so check back in 10 years to see if this thread is still #1.

For anyone who cares, congratulations! This thread now holds the #1 spot for replies in the Cozumel sub-forum (even after discounting metadata posts like this one). It's been 10 years since the original "The Swine Flu Thing" post - so check back in 10 years to see if this thread is still #1.
Got your flu shot yet? Late is better than never, and herd immunity requires high degree of participation to stop the killer.

Same here. When I heard of the southern reefs opening up on the 15th, I found a flight for the 14th..........
Good for you! Please give us an update on how it goes!

My prediction is that we will learn what we already suspected - that the presence or absence of divers near the reef has no effect on the spread of the White Blight on stony corals. Whether those in power who control divers' access to the reefs will acknowledge it, though, is another question.
And I will repeat, that wasn't what the reef closure was about - nor did ANYONE thing the reef would "heal" in this short time frame. There was a much bigger picture - to get PROFEPA (the enforcement arm of the Marine park) here to enforce regulations for operating as well as poaching on the reefs at night. PROFEPA has come and I hope they are here to stay. The issues are far from resolved, but there has been significant progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom