Staying Downtown and diving at a shop 30 min away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Terrible terrible advice. Don't do this."

But why?
Poorly maintained, unfamiliarity of the traffic and laws, excessive traffic and motos often in blind spots, weekly and often daily accidents from severe to fatal, most who are renting scooters have no experience on 2 wheels, let alone in another country and on poorly maintained mopeds, shall I continue? This is based on 20 years living on the island and even as a local I will not ride a scooter.

Poorly maintained, unfamiliarity of the traffic and laws, excessive traffic and motos often in blind spots, weekly and often daily accidents from severe to fatal, most who are renting scooters have no experience on 2 wheels, let alone in another country and on poorly maintained mopeds, shall I continue? This is based on 20 years living on the island and even as a local I will not ride a scooter.

I totally acquiesce to those with more local experience and knowledge than I. I had no idea it was that bad.

I like the Iberostar for family vacations.
I'm sure that it's nice, and it'd better be @ $204/night & up. I love the cheap, downtown hotels so much, but I guess with kids - the all inclusive, pool, and beach are nice features. I stayed at southern AI resorts a few times my first few trips, and you miss so much being so remote. This one is so far down that it's across from El Cedral. Map below, and I did double check the location as google maps are user input and prone to errors.

HOWEVER, I have been told by others that the island is super crowded in that holiday period and the taxi ride to the marina is very long.
Well, they are going after the holidays, but the resorts are surely still busy with snow birds and you have to go thru the southern cruise barge pier areas. This resort is much further from town than the marina tho. I have to wonder: Do you want to experience Cozumel or the resort?

upload_2019-12-6_13-58-43.png

I'm sure that it's nice, and it'd better be @ $204/night & up. I love the cheap, downtown hotels so much, but I guess with kids - the all inclusive, pool, and beach are nice features. I stayed at southern AI resorts a few times my first few trips, and you miss so much being so remote. This one is so far down that it's across from El Cedral. Map below, and I did double check the location as google maps are user input and prone to errors.

Well, they are going after the holidays, but the resorts are surely still busy with snow birds and you have to go thru the southern cruise barge pier areas. This resort is much further from town than the marina tho. I have to wonder: Do you want to experience Cozumel or the resort?

View attachment 553834

Add at least 10 - 15 minutes each way getting through the traffic and pedestrians at the cruise ship terminals

So I have a basic question, in that case. With the marina and all the dive boats half way down the island from downtown and ruling out the grueling traffic and taxi conundrum, how do most people get to the boat or boat to the people?

So I have a basic question, in that case. With the marina and all the dive boats half way down the island from downtown and ruling out the grueling traffic and taxi conundrum, how do most people get to the boat or boat to the people?

I’d guess less than 33% on any day leave from the marina - all others are picked up at some point. Those that go to the marina either drive or taxi it.

I think the website is alertacozumel if you want to read up on scooter safety. I ride one every day but am extremely vigilant, go slow and try not driving at night. The ride out to the marina is no joke, going five or ten blocks from my house to oxxo or in town is another story but still..... I’ve seen accidents at my corner and most corners between here and oxxo....

Some operations offer pick-up at the downtown piers and hotels north of the marina, others taxi their guests or require their guests to go to the marina (so they still have traffic issues during high season), and most all operators pick up at southern resort piers - but keep in mind, the further south you stay the more limited dive site options are and very few shops pick-up at Iberostar

Not all dive shops load way down south. A large percentage of divers just use the Aldora Pier downtown where many others like BlueXTC load. If staying downtown it is ultra convenient. Others may taxi to the southern marina, or get "pirate/illlegal" rides from other operators.

Dave Dillehay

PS I recently noticed that some ops are also using the rebuilt downtown Aqua Safari pier.

Add at least 10 - 15 minutes each way getting through the traffic and pedestrians at the cruise ship terminals
Yep. Don't kid yourself. I was driving north one day and got so frustrated with traffic that I detoured east to 65, and then worked my way back west at 11! It was crazy-town. If you stop and think...there are roughly 3 (or more) cruise ships a day discharging about 15,000 passengers to this little island. When they are not using a cab, they are trying to cross the street (sometimes drunkenly) or navigate on motos that are dangerous at best and doubly so when you aren't familiar with how local people ACTUALLY drive. I decided going to 65 was better for my safety and sanity.

Has anyone ventured down that new bypass road? I wonder if it comes out on 30 or 65??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom