Scuba Refresher Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30 points? I was taught that people can remember a much smaller number than that, 5-7 on a good day, 3 on a bad one.

Well...post your own list then.

-Z

Mine has 1000 points of light, and I can never remember all their names. /jk

On a more helpful note, what about hiring your own instructor/dive guide for your first dive? That way you get a refresher for about the same cost as a PADI reactivate course, skip the pool part which may not be super helpful to you, and not have to worry about a random dive partner being assigned to you. You’ll also be able to dive a more personalized dive plan. Just speak to the instructor about what you want to work on. That’s what worked for me for the first ski trip every year, back when I skied. I got a private instructor for the morning to work on certain things I wanted help with.

Its the numbers that always fade away - i.e. basically all the rules surrounding NDL. I'm essentially looking for a quick checklist that I can read to trigger my memory and go 'ah ya thats right, I remember now'.
Do you have the tables and a computer? With those, there really is no need to memorize the numbers. Most don’t. They just know how to plan a dive on the tables, on their computer, or using dive planning software.

I’d highly recommend a computer in your case. Doesn’t need to be anything fancy, it just needs to be with you. Understanding the tables is great, but most don’t take the tables with them. It’d suck to find out you should have done a deco stop after you are already on the surface. Much better to have your computer alert you before it gets to that point.

Tables seem to be the checklist you are looking for. At the dive site you can look at the depth, your gas mix, and the table will tell you how long you can stay down. If diving Nitrox, you’ll also need to know the MOD. That will be found right on the Nx table for the common mixes (Air, Nx32, & Nx36). Math, or your computer will tell you the rest. If diving air, you only need to be concerned about NDL.

The tables will be far more conservative than a computer as they assume tat you spend the entire dive at the max depth. In actuality, it’s usually much less. For example, a recent dive I did was to a max depth of 106’ on Nx32. Tables give me a total of 25 minutes. My total dive time was 29 minutes, but at the turn was about 17 minutes. That would put me in group F at that point. My average depth at that point was 75’. If I assumed average, I would be in group D. Assuming a follow up dive within an hour, that equates to a difference of 26 minutes or 14 minutes at 75’ on dive 2.

I didn’t do that in my head, I had to use the tables. So, get the tables, and get a computer. Tables can help you plan, but won’t do you any good if your dive doesn’t go exactly to plan. A computer will.

FYI-There are tons of videos on Youtube which can be used as refreshers.

That is fair, but again life being life...I do not have time for this. The physical skills themselves are not really the issue.

This is a foolish statement. The idea physical skills are non-deteriorating or they only dwindle over a long period (rather than a short period) of absence is an unwise attitude to take. When I worked in the islands we always had to keep an eye on people who took this approach because they were the ones who made the simple mistakes. To this day I don't like diving with people who do not keep up on their knowledge or skills; it ends up being a babysitting day because they take the unwise approach.

Review your basic open water book. If you don't have a book get one or pick up a short version such as PADI's Scuba Tune-Up Dive Guide.

Knowledge and skills go hand-in-hand; neither are separate. Seeking to keep up on your knowledge is great - nice job! Don't neglect your skills!!

My intro rules to scuba;

Dont hold your breath
Equalize early and often
Move slowly (especially on ascent)
Have fun
Dont be an embarrassment

As a certified diver you may want to think about:

Reset your tattle tale
Write down your entry and exit times
Regularly orient so you dont get lost

The rest is more about following tables or computer. Just remember ascent rate is <30’/min and safety stop is a good practice to do every time.

I was certified in March of '15, but didn't have a chance to dive again until the following November. I took a refresher course just before the November trip and I am glad that I did. I felt much more comfortable after having the opportunity to brush up on basic skills.

Personally I would echo the sentiments from the earlier posters - do a scuba review. This can be done on the first dive on location however with a DM or instructor after reviewing the knowledge on the trip out. Making sure the skills are ingrained (particularly with a relatively new diver) is worthwhile - can you adequately recover a reg if it is kicked out or clear your mask ok?

I would always suggest using a computer - far less to worry about than tables and will potentially allow for longer dives as it will give credit for time now spent at the deepest point unlike tables where you have to assume the deepest depth for the entire dive. Common diving these days is descend to the deepest section and then progressively work your way shallower during the dive ie drop to 60ft stay there for a period and then come up and return at 40ft.

Back
Top Bottom