How comes only half of the mask gets fogged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll give an update. I washed the mask in the dishwasher. Plain program together with the dishes and plain soap. It was fine but there was still a fogged spot on the very top right part of the lens. I believe it must have been some silicone dirt stuck on it. So I used again toothpaste not mild normal one with electric toothbrush and eventually it got perfect just like new

I have really good results with J and J baby shampoo. Put on after my after dive gear rinse, let dry and rinse right in ocean/pool right before dive.
My wife, Chris and I now use a 1:10 ratio of Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo in water, in a $1.95 spray bottle we got at a Fred Meyer store. It works very well. Spray the inside, rinse once and use, and it stays fog-free for an hour.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 59
Trying this last method by FreeFlyFreak as my latest mask sure has defied all other methods...thanks!
In case you still have a problem .. just found out of the only sure method to get rid off the silicon coating on a brand new lens...
It was shown to me on the Truk Master liveaboard by the cruise director just last week.
My brand new Tusa mask defied all methods and was getting fogged like crazy.
He grabbed a cigarette lighter and moved the flame around the inner mask lens (you have to move around and be careful not to burn the rubber), the lens almost got black from the soot but it was easily washed off, and bingo, absolutely no fogging problem anymore.

I was able to do well with a toothpase/baking soda mix scrub and rinse...followed by the magic eraser scrub and rinse. The magic eraser felt like it actually removed a coating tho.

Eventually I was succesful in defogging the mask hahaha

What I still wonder is how it was possible that I got only one half of the mask fogged and not the other half too. The swimming cap I use in the pool is also made of a silicone material (I think), it might be the cap itself releases some silicone in the mask, but I don't really think this is likely and anyway it doesn't explain why only half of the mask gets fogged. That's still a mystery to me even now that I have solved the problem

maybe the manufactory missed anti-fog procedure for the right len

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom