HELP NEEDED ASAP FOR NAVY SEAL CANDIDATE...PLEASE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As said, in a pressure chamber and not breathing from a scuba system I think that the most effective equalization method is Frenzel. The most easy to learn is Valsalva, although less effective, as lungs cannot create a pressure grater than 50 cm water column, whilst compressing mechanically the air trapped in the nose using tongue and soft palate, with nose and mouth closed, can reach a pressure equivalent to more than one meter of water column.
But everyone must experiment and find HIS optimal method, working well for him.
In my case it is not Valsalva, nor Frenzel. It is simply using the Eustachian muscles, and resorting to Marcante-Odaglia if acting on the muscles is not enough...

I'd also throw in some Alieve or other NSAID to reduce any inflammation which could also be contributing. I used to take 12 hr decongestants when diving with sinus congestion but now just Advil or Alieve

Tha
The Navy goes to great expense to train SEALs, they do NOT discard candidates casually. If this is an issue, and it appears it is, they will likely work with him one on one, including getting the extensive diving medical staff involved.

If he has temporary issues it would be a 'medical roll' to the next class as the first step. Not a drop. If investigation shows it is insurmountable, he would need a different career. But from your description, this is just the first sign of an issue. This is from some years ago, but I can not imagine the philosophy changing that much.

Rupturing his eardrums would be very debilitating and could permanently disqualify him. Do not have him push it or deny ear pain. The Navy and his instructors would be VERY mad at him for that. There are conditions where combat divers might do that deliberately, or knowingly, but doing it as a dumb-ass not tell anyone candidate is not a good option.

'Fred' panics 'easily' is a clear dis-qual, sort of medical as in phycological but not medical as in physical. 'Brad' has ear issues is well understood and can be investigated. Brad may well be a great operator, they would not want to throw him aside for something easy to diagnose if it can be understood and resolved.

It is odd that pre-BUDS medical clearance did not uncover this. They used to require a chamber pressure and oxygen tolerance test before assignment there.

Thanks for your candid feedback sir!

IF he is allowed and hopefully also has some experience with it so knows if it causes any problems for him, a single dose of pseudoephedrine prior to diving has been shown effective in novice divers. Like others have said, it needs to be the real stuff that you have to sign for and is kept behind the counter (its used in meth labs). I recommend and personally use the 12 hour version so it will last the dive but wear off for sleep. Sudafed D 12 hour or the generic version.

Practice now but make sure he starts clearing the ears as soon as he hits the water.

I don’t believe any damage was done in the pressure chamber yesterday. He said he raised his hand the moment he realized he was unable to clear his ears.

min your opinion what is the best way to “clear” the ears?
I use Valsava, but am trying to learn Frenzel.

The key is to practice and on dive days I start equalizing when I get up and continue on the boat predive. Then I clear before descending and then keep equalizing every 3 feet or so. Key is frequent and low effort - you should not be straining as you can do damage if you blow too hard with Valsalva (found that out the hard way).

Above water, pinching my nose and swallowing works as well. Also looking up and away from the side that is blocked while equalizing can help stretch the tube and open it as well.

Stroke your Eustachian tube. move a finger from the under the ear to the Adams apple...this can loosen up blockages

A nasal decongestant such as pseudoephedrine could potentially help. There can be a concern for the ears to be blocked again as the medication wears off but if these simulated dives aren't too long it shouldn't be a problem. Take it about 45 min to an hour before getting in the chamber. Best of luck to your son.

Take the 12 hour

Stroke your Eustachian tube. move a finger from the under the ear to the Adams apple...this can loosen up blockages

When diving and one ear is stubborn, I turn that ear up to the surface, stretch my neck out as far as it will go and then using my fore and middle fingers, I press/pull down from my ear base just behind the jaw bone, down my neck beside the esophagus.

Thank you sir

How does your son equalize when on a plane?

That is what I do almost every day and throughout the day but most definitely on diving days. This helps keep that muscle conditioned and the eustachian open. You should be able to hear the click in your ears.

My son could NOT clear his ears and had to tap out. He gets one more chance on Monday. Failure is not an option as he will be dropped from the course.

Hello, Jason.

I think you’re getting good advice here on ear clearing so I’ll address another facet of the situation for you.

As long as your son doesn’t receive a permanent medical bar (which doesn’t sound likely), he can apply to BUD/S again. Selection for continued training is not an only-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for each Special Operations component of the Services. Some guys never dare to go back through the tough screening process (Hell Week for BUD/S, other names for other Services) but each Service allows a service member to apply and try again provided he doesn’t receive a permanent medical bar or do something really immoral. Across each of our Services, the Special Operations ranks are filled with guys who didn’t make it the first time.

That much said, I know as a young man your son will probably feel crushed and that he has failed if he is dropped.

I can assure you that Naval Special Warfare Command (NSW), the command that forms and fields SEAL units, is a diverse organization with a wide variety of opportunities for Sailors. Not every Sailor in a SEAL unit is an operator and they very much value their enablers.

If he is unable to clear and gets dropped from the course, I would encourage him to seek out his BUD/S unit’s Senior Chief Petty Officer to ask him for career advice on how he could use the specialty he is already trained in (or will be trained in) to get an assignment to NSW.

When he asks the training chain of command, the Chief Petty Officers (subordinate petty officers) might go on high alert thinking that your son intends to go complain about being dropped. He needs to look them squarely in the eye and tell them with the solid strength of his Bixby roots, “I know I’m being dropped because I couldn’t clear my ears but that doesn’t mean I can’t serve with a SEAL unit in another way. I want to serve with Special Operations and I‘d like to get the Senior Chief’s advice on how I can get assigned to Naval Special Warfare Command”.

The Senior Chief Petty Officer will have the time in service to coach him on the next set of steps. If for some reason the Senior can’t meet with your son, the chain of command will likely find someone else who will take the time to get out of ‘sugar cookie’ mode and share some advice.

I’m hoping your son can clear his ears and drive on with BUD/S training. But if he can’t, there are tons of jobs that SEAL Teams depend on to get a SEAL Platoon or Task Unit “on the X” (objective). In our very best Special Operations units, while everyone knows the operators make the final decision on the assault and its execution, the operators are humble and go out of their way to take care of their enablers. It’s very much a family environment where everybody’s efforts really, really, matter. It’s every bit of what the American taxpayer expects and what inspiring stories are formed around.

Good luck and God bless you and your family for supporting your son’s service to his Nation. I’ll check back here to see how things went.

Back
Top Bottom