Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second this! You could even go up to 90 L and if you are carrying it on your back they don’t question carryon :)
oh yea they will for something that big

they dont make the 60 or the 90L anymore either.
They do make a 55 and a 70L and then its 100L.

The 70L, if full, is way bigger than 22 x14 x 9inches

I just bought the Black Hole briefcase looking thing and took it on a recent trip. Completely packed (camera, go pro and regulators} it counted as a personal under the seat item.

I am such a Patagonia whore.

I use just a cheap roller bag that meets airline size requirements. Backplate wing, regs, computer, mask booties with my fins strapped to outside. Wetsuit goes in checked.

My setup is extremely simple because all my gear is tiny (with the exception of my fins).
If pushed, I can get my entire warm water setup -hollis aluminum bp/w, not-so light regulator/octo, cam bands and pockets, DSMB and spool, whistle, small camera with extra lens, light, tray, mask, snorkel (for when I'm bored) and computer all in a backpack - any extra room is filled with a swimsuit and maybe a change of underwear. Fins are another matter and usually get strapped to the opposite side of the backpack similar to carrying a skateboard. Once on the plane, the fins fit lengthwise on top of all the overhead storage (never under) or flat along the floor at my feet - if I manage a window seat I just slide them between the seat and the wall horizontally. Backpack easily smooshes into overhead bins or under the seat in front of me (even with the fins there).
Checked bag - cheap, generic canvas thing - any cold water or location specific gear (i.e. wetsuit, boots, shorter fins for wrecks etc) along with clothing.
If I'm not worried about things showing up or don't want to haul my setup in my carry-on, the bp/w, snorkel, dsmb and spool, whistle, etc all go in the checked bag while the regulator, mask, camera equipment, and computer stay with me.
If I plan on using the Surf Fur, I wear it as my jacket - it makes a great blanket on the plane.

In exchange, my checked bag becomes the repository of any/all souvenirs or new gear we buy on the trip because it's usually half empty when we fly down (but you'd think the world is going to end if I need to move something into my dive buddy's bag :rolleyes: like seriously dude I'm transporting all the **** you bought, you can fit a pair of my shorts, they don't even weigh 1/4 pound...)

Right now I am young and strong and don't mind dragging a heavy backpack all over the world - if carry-on weight becomes an issue I can easily shift a large chunk of that weight to the checked bag and still be well within the weight limits.
Yes my bags aren't very sturdy or durable but I know how to pack them for maximum safety and efficiency.

Do not forget your pockets. Great for 1st stages, cameras, misc. Dry bag goodies. I actually sewed giant pockets to the insides of my travel jacket to carry hoses, snorkel, smb, etc. Jackets don't count as luggage, even when stuffed.

Stahlsac Rangi rolling carry-on. If you can find one. Holds BC, reg, mask, skin, camera, DC. All except fins.

Drop the mic.

Wheels are not limited to overhead carry one. I pack my gear in an Akona Globetrotter backpack, then sit the backpack on top of my wheeled under seat carry on for long treks through airports. The Travelpro Maxlite works well for me and has enough room for my laptop, camera, and a couple of lights and strobes

Wheels are not limited to overhead carry one. I pack my gear in an Akona Globetrotter backpack, then sit the backpack on top of my wheeled under seat carry on for long treks through airports. The Travelpro Maxlite works well for me and has enough room for my laptop, camera, and a couple of lights and strobes
I’ve been curious about the Globetrotter. Have you ever had to check it at the jetway, or have they always let you carry it on. It seems just slightly too big, so I wasn’t sure if other’s experiences.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom