good fins for wetsuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not saying no one is capable of using these long blade fins in a reef environment, but I would never suggest a novice with these fins take them to the Red Sea to learn.

“One research reported that around 90% of divers had one or more physical interactions with reef benthos. Studies agreed that fins cause most damage to the corals followed by hands, knees
and equipment [18, 30].”
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ral_Reefs_Conservation_and_Tourism_Management

I have watched plenty of “good divers” do dumb things.

Lots of rubber blubber (or dry):
Scubapro Jet Fin, there can be only one and no other and this is it.

Minimal or less rubber blubber or none:
1) Mares Avanti Quattro, relatively light (but large), durable, cheap, plenty of power and can do all kicks, behave in some respects like a short free diver fin, a long fin. I use these 90% of the time, so does my wife.
2) OMS Slipstream, much like the Jet but lighter, a shorter fatter fin, very good at frog kicks and technical kicking, not the best at flutter kicks but nonetheless a powerful fin.
3) Aeries Accel, kind of like a mini Slipstream, very light, travels superbly, acceptable power, very maneuverable, short fins are reef friendly, can do all kicks very well.

Other:
1) Mares full foot free diver fins, I use these for, well, free diving and also find them useful in SoFla "drift" diving but one must learn to be aware of where their fin tips are. Powerful, fast, great for pushing camera gear against the Gulf Stream current and covering long distances.
2) (Voit) UDT Duck Feet, a heavy, chunky, natural rubber, old fashioned fin that is stiff and powerful and smells like a burned out campfire. Behaves in most respects like a SP Jet but with a foot pocket from hell so you can only use fin socks. Good for body surfing and vintage. Occasionally available.
3) Nemrod Super A Professional, a short full foot rubber fin, relatively light for rubber, dive much like the Accel, body surfing, vintage. Think Churchill but much stiffer and no longer available.

I plan to get some Eddy Fins as soon as the black or some color other than orange is back in stock. I would love some army green or green camo, I even sort of like the powder blue that are in stock. But the orange, I cannot help it, orange is not my choice.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom