BSAC Accident Logs 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight ditching is nearly always the wrong option.

As for diving in a 3 some, the DIR lot like it but lots of others hate it. It depends a lot on divers experience. Quite often it ends up 2 diving as a pair and the most experienced trailing as a 3rd so not an ideal solution.

Personally i dislike diving as a 3.

String:
Weight ditching is nearly always the wrong option.
I've read this before, and understand why it's generally a bad idea at depth, but if you're at the surface and having problems (ie: you start to sink back under the surface), what's the downside of ditching at that point? Granted if you're properly weighted though this shouldn't happen.

I guess maybe it's a catch 22. You're at the surface in a rational state of mind and don't need to dump weights, or your freaked out and go instinctual and don't think of dumping the weights when you really need to?

JasonH20:
I've read this before, and understand why it's generally a bad idea at depth, but if you're at the surface and having problems (ie: you start to sink back under the surface), what's the downside of ditching at that point?
None. That can be exactly the situation to dump your weights in, although you'd generally try to inflate your BCD first! As you said - it's dumping weights at depth that can be a problem. This discussion has been had before but the bottom line is clear from the reports. If you are uncontrollably sinking and you can't stop it with your BCD or drysuit then it's better to lose your weights, have a maybe uncontrolled ascent as a consequence, and a chamber ride - rather than keep sinking and drown.

Why exactly WOULD you be sinking rapidly out of control in the first place ?

FWIW i agree weight ditching on the surface can be beneficial. Id venture its the ONLY place to dump them. More incidents are caused by weights accidentally coming undone underwater than have been prevented from getting worse by dumping them.

Anyway, thats been discussed to death elsewhere so i'll leave it at that.

String - I agree with you, I also can't think of why you would be sinking. I just noticed in the report that in a few cases that is exactly what happened!

Kim:
String - I agree with you, I also can't think of why you would be sinking. I just noticed in the report that in a few cases that is exactly what happened!

you said that is whats happened in a number of case's. If for some reason they can not inflate BC/dry bag (first stage malfunction, OOA ) and are sinking I would drop my weights in a heart beat.

cdiver2:
you said that is whats happened in a number of case's. If for some reason they can not inflate BC/dry bag (first stage malfunction, OOA ) and are sinking I would drop my weights in a heart beat.
Me too...:wink:

The thing that struck me most was the fact that in many cases, victims were offered the octupus by their buddies but they refused to take it. I can't understand the mind set that would preclude someone from taking the octupus.

n2thebluec:
The thing that struck me most was the fact that in many cases, victims were offered the octupus by their buddies but they refused to take it. I can't understand the mind set that would preclude someone from taking the octupus.

Seems when somebody can be in such a panicked state, the octopus means nothing, did you see where one buddy refused the octopus but went for their buddy's primary reg?
Almost looks like they only trust the primary reg, since they can see that the buddy is breathing with ni problems through it...interesting...

SF

ScubaFreak:
Almost looks like they only trust the primary reg, since they can see that the buddy is breathing with ni problems through it...interesting...
SF
Makes you wonder why they don't donate the primary then? And while you're at it why not use a longer hose ? Just a thought :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom