Truth Aquatics suspending operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I imagine this incident will bring a few immediate pre-emptive self imposed changes to many fleets (even around the world) if it hasn’t already. Operators may take it upon themselves to self regulate even a few little things before any official report comes out.
As badly as the Conception was burned down, I’m not feeling too confident that they will ever find an actual cause of the fire. I think they will have to make changes based purely on speculation.

Although this is something to look into and change, and sounds like it has been addressed by Truth Aquatics on their remaining boats, it had no bearing on the loss of life in the Conception fire.

Bob
Did I miss something? Where has that determination been published?

While I agree that the 24" opening accessed from a top bunk may likely have been immaterial to what happened, I don't think that has been established, and may very well never be.

Did I miss something? Where has that determination been published?

While I agree that the 24" opening accessed from a top bunk may likely have been immaterial to what happened, I don't think that has been established, and may very well never be.

"Sep 6, 2019 · Victims in the tragic dive boat fire likely died of smoke inhalation, not burns, Santa Barbara County ... said Friday they had located next of kin for all 34 people who died aboard the Conception."

This came out soon after the bodies were taken to the coroner. It was not an official report but was an official announcement by authorities dealing with the tragedy.

Bob

"Sep 6, 2019 · Victims in the tragic dive boat fire likely died of smoke inhalation, not burns, Santa Barbara County ... said Friday they had located next of kin for all 34 people who died aboard the Conception."

This came out soon after the bodies were taken to the coroner. It was not an official report but was an official announcement by authorities dealing with the tragedy.

Bob
I really hope this is true and that there were no reports of flaming escapes, having been on these boats I never felt that I couldn’t get out of the escape hatch and there aren’t a lot of divers bigger than I am at 6’5” 245lb. I would go out on any of those boats today, if someone is so afraid of these boats as they were it really makes me wonder how they manage to dive at all, do they want complete air analysis before each dive? Overhaul regulators everyday? Even if they implement a roving fire watch how can they ever sleep knowing that the watch may be in the wrong place at the wrong time, asleep, distracted etc.? I get the feeling that some of these fearful types will never be satisfied until they get to sleep in hanging baskets over the side, until one drowns.

It seems Truth is making some sensible changes and policy but to expect 100% safety in all things is unreasonable.

I'm betting Truth Aquatics has the safest boats in California as of right now.
You probably don't want to know the condition of the brakes on that semi that you just cut off and did a brake check on to make your exit off the freeway. Spending a night on a boat will look pretty safe after you know what the real world is like and not the fictional perfect world you think you are in.

No, but 'In light of this awful tragedy with great loss of life, we've gained understanding that will lead to improved safety standards going forward that may save the lives of others from a similar fate' offers something.

IIRC from other threads, the level of safety practices we benefit from today have at times been purchased by the blood of people who went before us.

I'm eager to see what changes this will bring in the live-aboard industry over time. I imagine it's brought a lot of awareness and pressure to bear.

My grandfather was a railroader on the B&O. Of the old school, he started on the B&O in the early 50s. After he retired, I still remember as a little kid when he showed me what he said were the railroad regulations. It looked like a thick phonebook.

He said, "Every rule's a body. Every rule in there is a life, or a leg or an arm. You can either understand the rules and why and pay attention to them, or you can be a rule in the next book."

I was probably 9 years old, and I still remember that talk and that quote.

This fire was a tragedy, but we'll learn from it, and things will get better. People will be less likely to die from the same issues the next time around. People will still die, but hopefully fewer of them from known and understood causes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom