What gives??? SeaLife DC2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shutterlag - You see something to photograph, you shoot, there is some lag.

The competitors - you see something to shoot that is not identical to your last pictures, you do some manual settings, then shoot hoping you got the manual settings right. I call this operator lag.

For someone like me where most of the photos are different, my operator lag from worrying about manual adjustments greatly exceeds my shutter lag when shooting on auto.

Depends on what you want.

But hey, my 73 old knees have encouraged me to move back to split fins so what do I know according to many on SB.

For me it is minimizing hassle and maximizing the experience. Some enjoy playing with settings. Some do not. To each their own.

i would go for a rx100 setup with meikon housing instead. get some entry level video lights to start and then upgrade later. or go with a TG5 and start smaller.

can also see if you can stretch the budget to go to a used sony alpha or olympus om mirrorless setup.

I had this camera, and it was great.
As far as shutter lag, it seems to only be a problem if shooting in RAW format. Switch to JPEG only if you want, and shutter lag not a problem IMO.

I just moved up to the DC2000 a couple of months ago from the Sealife Micro and I have been really happy thus far. I am certainly not trying to talk you out of a DC2000 but I would say do not be afraid to look at the Sealife Micro as a good starter camera for your daughter. They are smaller and easier to handle and operate, especially for a newer diver. You will not have the option for a strobe light but absolutely can use a a video light with it. I have taken some really good shots with it and it allowed me the time to get comfortable taking pictures underwater without having to worry about a housing and the other things you need to be aware of when using the DC2000.

i would go for a rx100 setup with meikon housing instead. get some entry level video lights to start and then upgrade later. or go with a TG5 and start smaller.

+1. DC2000 is a nice camera but without usable RAW mode at its current price tag it really does not have that much over the competition. SeaLife customer support is stellar but you shouldn't need it in the next 5 years or more... I didn't go for it even with the discount they offered for my DC1400, FWIW.

Post production is where you can really make a difference in your photos too. The DC 2000 with 20 Megapixels helps a lot in this.

Post production is where you can really make a difference in your photos too. The DC 2000 with 20 Megapixels helps a lot in this.

Not compared to DC1400's 14MP + optical zoom. What does make a difference is the larger sensor, but there's plenty of competition there..

My very special AOW/Nitrox certified 12 year old daughter is a total dive junky. Everytime we are in a dive shop, dive boat or advertisement in magazine she flips out over the Sealife DC2000. So for Christmas I was gonna pull the trigger and get her the SeaLife DC2000 with Sea Dragon 2500 Set that she can grow into as her little dive career/passion develops..........BUT....BUT......I read bad reviews and I read great reviews. Things that seems to be consistently coming up is "shutter lag", poor auto focus and color metering.
People either LOVE this camera or HATE this camera......no middle ground!
Can you guys give me your open honest opinions as SL DC2000 owners.
Thanks,
Scotty Chaco
It's a great entry level camera. I recently took these images with it. 10 Cool Underwater Critters in Dauin | Philippines

can also see if you can stretch the budget to go to a used sony alpha or olympus om mirrorless setup.
Stretch the budget? A new Sony a6000 with the kit lens and a seafrogs salted line housing is almost the exact same price as a dc2000.

I have one and it's been great, and the video is good as well. It even survived a week submerged at 100' with no problems (long story). I would look hard at the new 4k version though, but I mostly shoot video when I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom