5 days available - Tulamben vs Padang Bai vs..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this thread. I am going with a friend to Bali and he has dived these sites before. We will spend a week at one area and another week elsewhere. You do not need a guide for all the dives such as the wreck site. However we will use a guide for the first day then dive by ourselves on other days. One of the dive shops asks divers to limit dives to 75 mins or finish with 40 bar which is nice. A lot of dive shops are 50 - 60 minutes only.

Diving without a guide we will be doing some 90 minute plus dives. A lot of the dive sites are really shore entries close to the resorts.

Hmm, may be we need to learn from this diving accident last week.

3 divers missing off of Java

Luko, did i say something wrong to you ? Your answer is full of assumptions, agressivity and judgemental while the point of my post was just to say that i do understand that some people do not want guides, and that it is not mandatory in Tulamben nor in Amed as long as you comply with local regulation and pay for what you are entitled too Period !

Unfortunately for you, you're wrong on many of your assumptions about me. I do enjoy and learn from local knowledge and foreigners too (as long as people have knowledge to share, nobody is worth better than another whatever their skin color), i am diving on a regular basis for fun with my friends which happens mostly being local dive guides. I am just saying that as a diver i do like to be on my own and take more pleasure finding stuff myself even if i surely find less critters than a local guide, is it wrong ?. Did i claim that i knew better than anybody or that receiving knowledge from a peer is useless ? You, on the contrary seems to knows a lot about me but i dont recall meeting you on my 3 years living in Karangasem regency.

I won't even bother reply on your disgression about biology and science as this is not the theme, once again i just enjoy more finding things by myself and teach diving (being a guide as a Bule(foreigner in bahasa) is forbidden and definitely not my job), wwhile you enjoy having your private guide and find super rare critters, and an other one enjoy playing with clownfish, thats'it ! you should not judge fellow diver about what they prefer to do underwater because you've been 'i dont know how many times on this and that place' and take nice pictures. Marine Biology is not everybody's passion.

I haven't dived that much in Tulamben ( just a few hundred times ) and anyway i do not pretend to know the area better than anybody nor i would dare brag because i know better and i am not gonna argue with you as i do not know you and, once again you assume things coming from nowhere and i find it offensive.

And eventually you assume i dont go with local guide, bad luck for you, i ve always worked for local people, in the rare shops that are owned by balinese, barely hang out with other foreigner and therefore speak fluently bahasa indonesia and not that bad balinese. Now i moved to Sulawesi Tenggara and live on an island where i am the ONLY foreigner so please dont play the card of the 'pretentious bule that knows better than local' with me : I am offering diving class to the local community for free on a regular basis and have nothing but respect for everybody, including you.
As for the stingy Bule, well there are some black sheep in every community, oh by the way have you heard about this guy in the area that kept the money of one of the dive site ticket entrance for himself for 3 years and moved away with the money ? Its not because someone did something wrong that i will blame the others.

Dear Luko you maybe a great photographer and your extensive knowledge of Indonesia dive site is a great asset to this forum and i myself take a lot of pleasure reading your posts. However your posture and assumptions on my regards are agressive and based on nothing. Maturity calls for more care about other people, and YOU should be more humble, you do not know my history as i do not know yours.
No hard feeling though, may this post keeps going nicely and the OP find the answers he was asking for.
Robin.

Mr.RobinC, since this post is drifting away from the initiaI questions, I have PM'd my detailed reply to the intents you've attributed to me, as well as the reason why you feel i am getting "aggressive" in my reply and the explanation on the parts you didn't understand (like why I believe marine biology is not off topic a macro diving post) .

There's also a part on considering first any poster profile in order to maximize the relevance before replying a question.... for instance guessing that a member with >5000 dives would want to see more specifics than just be "playing with a clownfish". Hope you don't mind...

Sigh. English is not the first language for everyone here. And even when it is, we don't always express ourselves as well as we would wish. There is no reason to let any of this get out of hand or let egos take over.

Tulamben is my favourite dive site.
At least we spend 5 days to a week in Bali every year.
Being local:) and familiar with Bali, usually we just rent a car and self-drive.
Typically arrived with morning flight, drive to Padang bai, 2 dives at arrival day, overnight in pura rai, next day another 2 dives. The jetty is a must for 2 dives.
then drive to Puri Madha Tulamben, arrive at late afternoon for night dive.
The next 3 days typically start with early morning dive at liberty / the slope, breakfast facing then the the other 2 dives would be around tulamben such as Kubu, melasti. Seraya, Amed area etc.

Well I 'm sorry to say it would be silly to dive without a dive guide..

thanks for the lecture that I didn't need. What I wrote was that I would not need a guide some of the dives. My dive buddy has dived there before. He has less dives than I do even though he is an instructor. I'm also proficient in Bahasa as I was formally trained in the language. As I wrote we will be using a local dive shop my partner has dived with before. :)

Saw this thread in recent posts, started reading on the first page since i am planning to visit Bali. Enjoyed the start but ...............

Various groups of people love dinosaurs, some visit the museum with or without a person/audio guide, some love exploring at an actual dig site, some even went down to do the digging with a "tooth brush". End of day, as long as safety ensured, each has it own fun.

Anyway, thanks TS for starting this thread, at least it was interesting and filled with details.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

some inappropriate posts have been deleted. Any further posts of similar nature will also be deleted. Please conduct yourselves accordingly

So I am booked for March April for Bali diving.

lembongan Tulamben Amed are the places we will dive and stay. Nearly a 3 week trip so we can get around 5 diving days at each location

I'll get back to you on how that was. Resorts are really cheap there atm. 5 hour direct flight from my home country.

Five diving days in each will be great and you are so right, it’s so so cheap and so so good.Private guides don’t cost very much so in the very unlikely event that you are buddied with an unsuitable buddy, you can always request this. We saw 7 Molas on our first dive ever in Crystal Bay in June several years ago, so keep your eyes out, you never know what’s out there !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom