Los Cabos Recs mid December 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy B-G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Husband and I are planning a last minute dive trip the third week in December and believe we have finalized location to Los Cabos. (We would love to do Coz again but thought we would give something new a try.) I've read so many posts on this site my head hurts so thought I would see what recent recs look like.

Dive operators: we are thinking Dive Cabo or Manta Scuba based on proximity and reviews. Dive Cabo gave a prompt and very detailed reply to our questions, Manta Scuba not so much.

Accommodations: We are thinking Tesoro Resort or Solomar Resort. We like that Solomar appears to be quieter and a little less touristy but think that might take Dive Cabo out of the running for dive operator since we most likely are not going to rent a car?

Dive locations: Anything that is not to be missed in December?

We are coming from San Diego and are advanced cold water divers if that makes a difference in any advice.

Thanks!

Husband and I are planning a last minute dive trip the third week in December and believe we have finalized location to Los Cabos. (We would love to do Coz again but thought we would give something new a try.) I've read so many posts on this site my head hurts so thought I would see what recent recs look like.

Dive operators: we are thinking Dive Cabo or Manta Scuba based on proximity and reviews. Dive Cabo gave a prompt and very detailed reply to our questions, Manta Scuba not so much.

Accommodations: We are thinking Tesoro Resort or Solomar Resort. We like that Solomar appears to be quieter and a little less touristy but think that might take Dive Cabo out of the running for dive operator since we most likely are not going to rent a car?

Dive locations: Anything that is not to be missed in December?

We are coming from San Diego and are advanced cold water divers if that makes a difference in any advice.

Thanks!

I went with Manta, they were good but certainly nothing out of the ordinary.
Next time I would try somewhere else just to see if they were better.
Cant speak to the lodging you mentioned, but I didn't have a car either.
I used Uber in Cabo, it is extremely cheap there. Took 6 rides.

I’ll be there in three weeks and was thinking of either manta or dive Cabo as well

Anyone else have experience

Great place to take a trip. We were there in Jan. 2018. Water a little cooler and viz not as good as when you will be there, hopefully. We were there 2 weeks but it was not all about diving on our trip as we wound up only diving 2 days. We did take our gear except for wetsuits - we used the 5 ml provided by the op.

Dive operator: We did something different. I had researched the dive ops you mentioned and at about the same time, got an email from Vallarta Adventures with Black Friday specials. From their website I went to Cabo Adventures and saw they offered greatly reduced rates on their excursions - 2 for 1 - which included diving. We booked several excursions. We did the Cabo Pulmo dive trip - $229 for 2 divers - which was a great deal. The dive in CSL bay was $139 for 2 divers. In Cabo Pulmo, once we arrived, we dove with another op that Cabo Adventures must contract with. A nice boat for the CSL dive, there were also a lot of divers broken down into smaller groups. The plus for this was that Cabo Adventures picks you up from where you are staying and drops you off.

Accommodations: We stayed at the Los Cabos Golf Resort which was about a 40 minute walk, but only 10-15 minutes by car, to the CSL marina. Again Cabo Adventures picked us up. We took a taxi some other days.

Dive Locations: Cabo Pulmo is unique with the swirling jacks. Not sure if bullhead sharks are there in December. Pelican Rock and The Arch are two common sites you may go to with any op in CSL. Good chance of sea lions.

The only reason we didn't dive more was the visibility - my buddy wasn't happy so I didn't dive either. If we would have, it would have been with a different op as I didn't think Cabo Adventures went anyplace different.

Great place to take a trip. We were there in Jan. 2018. Water a little cooler and viz not as good as when you will be there, hopefully. We were there 2 weeks but it was not all about diving on our trip as we wound up only diving 2 days. We did take our gear except for wetsuits - we used the 5 ml provided by the op.

Dive operator: We did something different. I had researched the dive ops you mentioned and at about the same time, got an email from Vallarta Adventures with Black Friday specials. From their website I went to Cabo Adventures and saw they offered greatly reduced rates on their excursions - 2 for 1 - which included diving. We booked several excursions. We did the Cabo Pulmo dive trip - $229 for 2 divers - which was a great deal. The dive in CSL bay was $139 for 2 divers. In Cabo Pulmo, once we arrived, we dove with another op that Cabo Adventures must contract with. A nice boat for the CSL dive, there were also a lot of divers broken down into smaller groups. The plus for this was that Cabo Adventures picks you up from where you are staying and drops you off.

Accommodations: We stayed at the Los Cabos Golf Resort which was about a 40 minute walk, but only 10-15 minutes by car, to the CSL marina. Again Cabo Adventures picked us up. We took a taxi some other days.

Dive Locations: Cabo Pulmo is unique with the swirling jacks. Not sure if bullhead sharks are there in December. Pelican Rock and The Arch are two common sites you may go to with any op in CSL. Good chance of sea lions.

The only reason we didn't dive more was the visibility - my buddy wasn't happy so I didn't dive either. If we would have, it would have been with a different op as I didn't think Cabo Adventures went anyplace different.

Thanks for the info.
I went with Manta, they were good but certainly nothing out of the ordinary.
Next time I would try somewhere else just to see if they were better.
Cant speak to the lodging you mentioned, but I didn't have a car either.
I used Uber in Cabo, it is extremely cheap there. Took 6 rides.
So I just called both and I think I’ll go with dive Cabo. Manta has a great 3 tank dive but dive Cabo took the time to ask me about my experience and what I’m comfortable with. That’s a good sign to me

Thanks for the info.

So I just called both and I think I’ll go with dive Cabo. Manta has a great 3 tank dive but dive Cabo took the time to ask me about my experience and what I’m comfortable with. That’s a good sign to me

Let me know how it is.

Thanks for the info.

So how was your experience with Dive Cabo? I dive here in CSL 3-4 times through out the year and have dove with most of the shops. The irony is the only time in my dive career were I felt like a number and didn't feel safe with the DM was at Dive Cabo. I ended up going with Manta and also do all my Rescue Diver cert with them because of their safety record and thoroughness. I've been diving now with them for the past 3 years (25 times) and feel they are the safest (I work professionally in Emergency Rescue Services) I'll always dive with Manta until I learn not too. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom