Great White and Mola season in NE FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
No one has seen one underwater yet this year but they are certain to be here by now.
Vis was 10 to 15 inshore and 40 to 50 offshore last time anyone was out. Best bet will be the bigger wrecks in around 100' like the Anna, Powerful, Casablanca and the Drydock.
The guys fishing for cobias around those wrecks will see them on top all winter.

Some of my friends saw a Mola earlier this week near the surface during a night drift dive off of West Palm. They were all diving with cameras equipped with macro lenses, so there were a few photographs made of a large eyeball.

Some of my friends saw a Mola earlier this week near the surface during a night drift dive off of West Palm. They were all diving with cameras equipped with macro lenses, so there were a few photographs made of a large eyeball.

Ha!

Fishing off of Jacksonville during the colder winter months brings surprises. I have seen the waving dorsal fin of several mola's over the years from the comfort (read that as warmth) of my boat deck. You get a sense of their enormous size when looking from the surface. We have also seen right whales from a distance on a couple of occasions .

I also experienced a great white encounter several years ago while reeling in a red snapper. Smaller great white, but an amazing experience!

GW9 (2).jpg

GW6 (2).jpg

I had a dive buddy see a right whale close up in mediocre vis while hanging doing his deco a few years back. We had been talking great whites and other sharks all morning, he got out of the water pale white. After he recovered from the shock he was pretty psyched.

...he was pretty psyched.
We totally missed the annual transiting whale sharks in Jup/WPB that always come the week before Thanksgiving. Every year there's even topside fishing boats reporting sightings, but nothing this year despite the good weather. We'll see if the GW's show up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom