Switching Certification Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The agencies might want you to think they are different...
Some agencies ARE different.

To clarify, I have taken several courses from World leader in Rescue Diving Courses. Their instructors are qualified to teach under several agencies. So I got my 2-year cert from them and 'just for fun' they offered a NAUI or PADI "Blackwater I" lifetime card as their training was greatly in excess of requirements for that specialty card.
Wow, you got training from instructors who are qualified to teach with multiple agencies? Ever heard what a crossover is?... Oooh your training was in excess...

Don't worry about the agency, worry about the instructor.
markm
Both agency and instructor matter. Agencies tell the instructor what to do on that course and how its meant to be taught...simple as...

I think it's important to mix who you learn from. Use different agencies and different instructors when possible. Get as many perspectives as you can.
I agree with you but sometimes vastly different viewpoints can confuse and convolute and then you're in a worse place than you started. What do you think?

Absolutely not. PADI and SDI are for-profit corporations. NONE of the training agencies are NGOs.
Yes, there is one at least...

instead of the typical FIPS course, lasting 9 months and training students almost as they were Navy Seals...

lol

1) Select a really good and enthusiastic instructor (agency is not important at all) 2) If you can, go for personalised instruction...
Agency is important. They define what, why, and how the instructor teaches. Thats also where he was qualified to teach you...

Lets see, how much alphabet soup I have???

Scuba Diver - Open Water: YMCA
Advanced Open Water: PDIC
EANx Diver: NAUI
Scuba Rescue Diver: NAUI
Master Scuba Diver: NAUI
Technical EANx Diver: NAUI
Decompression Techniques Diver: NAUI
Ice Diver: SDI
Visual Inspection Procedures: SDI
Air Fill Station Operator: SDI
Technical Gas Blender: PADI
Solo Diver - SDI
O2 Service Technician - TDI
CPROX Administrator - SDI/TDI
Project AWARE - Dive Against Debris - PADI
EDGE/HOG Equipment Service Clinic: TDI
Deep Six Equipment Service Clinic: TDI

To me, it is about the instructor, and getting a quality training experience....

Both agency and instructor matter. Agencies tell the instructor what to do on that course and how its meant to be taught...simple as...

Agency is important. They define what, why, and how the instructor teaches. Thats also where he was qualified to teach you...

Agencies set standards, how closely the instructor follows those standards, and how well he teaches, is the instructor. There is no Agency in the class enforcing anything, they sell training materials and cards, they also market their brand and instructors to that end.

Bob

Probably talking about the WRSTC, which more inline with what people think about when you are talking about NGOs.

This from the DIR world:
Wow, you got training from instructors who are qualified to teach with multiple agencies? Ever heard what a crossover is?... Oooh your training was in excess...
@Jackie Treehorn, so do I. But no, all agencies are not the same. They all market their own particular 'brand'.

Want to be 'elite'? Go with one of those agencies whose practitioners love to be branded.

Yes. Thats what I meant by my original comment of they want you to think they are different.

In the end, they all teach you how to dive.

In the end, they all teach you how to dive.
Yes, but the informed can pick an agency that more suits one's personal goals and objectives.

I too find it interesting that @EireDiver606 is all over correcting posters yet won't let anyone, even members, view 'personal information' on this board. So my suspicion is that he is part of the weaker subset of DIR divers who join just because "If you challenge me, you challenge all of us".

My position with DIR divers is well known, many cool friends who went that way for whatever reasons: Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Back
Top Bottom