Teric Corrosion...... Is this Normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drainaps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good morning,

I've spent a couple of weeks diving on a daily basis, and I just realized that the metal ring around a couple of my Teric buttons is giving away signs of premature corrosion.

Background: I'm a watch nut and understand the basics of watch maintenance and waterproofness, even do some basic servicing on my own. This to say that I don't treat my watches like a brick, I respect them. I've had this computer since May this year, and it goes into a freshwater tank every single diving day after the dives of the day are over, and it stays in freshwater the whole time it takes me to clean and rinse my equipment, change and shower. A good half hour, if not more, every time.

I'm fastidious about watches, the routine is followed every single diving day: hand scrubbing the watch in the freshwater tank, then leave it there for an additional 30-45 minutes, then dry in the air.

I was waiting to return home and inspect things closer / maybe open the case and dismount one of the buttons for a closer inspection. But thinking twice, I wanted to share the situation with the forum, get some feedback, and at the same time I don't want to void my warranty.

Bottom line: If the metal parts holding in place the Teric buttons are corroding because of (1) poor design, (2) substandard material procurement or else, it will only be a matter of time before water enters the watch case. I obviously cannot think for a minute to do a decompression dive with a watch that is visibly corroding (the backup to my Teric is..... another Teric!). Russian roulette anyone?

Before I forget, 2 of the 4 buttons show traces of corrosion. Sorry for the picture, the button is not very clean, but I just wanted to show things in plain sight, without any cosmetics. This is the watch out of the case after 2 weeks diving.
Teric Corrosion.jpg

Thanks for your feedback on this one.

That isn't normal, contact Shearwater and they will have you send it in. They typically will also provide a loaner if you need one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom