What size wing for new BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Apeks plates and WTX 30 lbs wing for cold and warm water it’s a little overkill for warm water but it’s compact and dives great. Here is my exact setup:
Me 6’1” 184”
8mm wetsuit Apeks stainless plate WTX 30 wing aluminum neutral cylinder 10-12lbs of lead
5mm wetsuit Apeks aluminum plate WTX 30 wing standard aluminum cylinder 8-10lbs of lead
3mm wetsuit Apeks aluminum plate WTX 30 wing standard aluminum cylinder 4-6lbs of lead
I use the single piece webbings with no padding anywhere as you will need to add more lead to offset the buoyancy. I thought of getting the 18lbs wing so I have a complete warm water setup but it just takes a minute to switch between plate.

I used 4 kg (8.8 pounds) with a rental BCD, and upon switching to my steel Freedom backplate, I don't require any extra lead.

I have a 23 lbs VDH wing and a 30 lbs DGX wing. I bought the VDH wing first. It is a bit smaller and nicer for travel, but I didn't feel it was enough lift in a 8 mm semidry and steel tanks, so I bought the 30 lbs wing also. I really like it, and if I could go back I would buy the DGX wing first (then in the future, buy the the 18 lbs VDH wing). I guess you'll likely end up with both, but the 30 lbs wing is more flexible.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the DGX wing. It's really cheap and good quality I believe. DGX Singles Wing - 30lb lift | Dive Gear Express®
I also have that 30# DGX S1 wing & I really like it. It's streamline enough for heavy current dives & it has enough capacity for me to comfortably dive with a steel 120 & 16# of lead. I could probably get away with a slightly smaller wing while I'm at depth, but when I hit the surface & I'm waiting for the boat to come get me in sporty conditions, I would not want the bladder capacity to be any smaller.

When figuring my weight for a dive, I start with the basic weight that makes me neutral in a swimsuit with no gear & then I use the following data.
2mm vest +2#
1mm full suit +3#
3mm shortie +6#
3mm full suit +10#
AL80 tank +4#
AL63 tank +2#
Steel 120 tank -2#
My wet suits are XL
My backpack is basically neutral.

I prefer an 18#wing with aluminum tanks.

I prefer more lift for downcurrents.

Not trying to be snarky, are you having to carry so much lead/weight in a 3mm and aluminum tank that you're not significantly positive with 18#? That suprises me.

Not trying to be snarky, are you having to carry so much lead/weight in a 3mm and aluminum tank that you're not significantly positive with 18#? That suprises me.

Without being snarky also, you've probably never been in a decent down current. For me, with a Ali and 3mm I may only use 4lbs of lead, but I'll have a 40lb lift wing.

On a recent trip playing with big currents in Komodo, our guide, a vastly experienced Tech/cave diver was running a Black Ice BCD that has 52lbs of lift (with a single Ali 80), because she has had to pull people out of down currents and needs additional lift.

Being in a tricky situation and wishing you had more (lift or gas) is never a good thing)

Without being snarky also, you've probably never been in a decent down current. For me, with a Ali and 3mm I may only use 4lbs of lead, but I'll have a 40lb lift wing.

On a recent trip playing with big currents in Komodo, our guide, a vastly experienced Tech/cave diver was running a Black Ice BCD that has 52lbs of lift (with a single Ali 80), because she has had to pull people out of down currents and needs additional lift.

Being in a tricky situation and wishing you had more (lift or gas) is never a good thing)

*eye roll* how did I know it would be you that would end up telling me that I obviously dont know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the Apeks WTX 30lb wing might be my best choice if similarly streamlined to the 18lb one. I was just hesitant as my current Zeagle with 35lb lift wing is quite oversized and don't want to repeat my error. I want a minimalistic setup that still meets my requirements in most situations. I am hopeful the stainless steel BP will bring me close to neutral without much additional weight, though I could always add a lb or two to the trim pockets on my CAM band.
Use a weight belt. You can ditch that and get extra buoyancy while waiting on the surface if in distress. While it is fashionable on SB not to have a weight belt and to put all the weight on the rig, and while manufacturers have made integrated weights a thing, dumpable weight is your friend. Once a weightbelt gets difficult then sure move some elsewhere, but for 4kg or less it is easy to wear.

See Pollock’s presentation at the 2019 BSAC conference if you don’t believe me.

I have a 18lb wing for tropical waters where I have no suit or maybe a 3mm. In your case you will want the 30.

Streamlining, oh for f***s sake. Clearly, try not to drag an anchor along, but really don’t listen to the people that make minor things the sole goal of their kit setup. Dive what it takes to be safe, not what the fashion police dictate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom