My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Un-watch thread. This has become more of a who's long hose is the longest thread now. too bad.

My take on this thread was that @Marie13 was trying to document her personal journey through to tech - all the while figuring out what works for her (which might not be what works for anyone else). She has been and still is figuring her own route. One of the best examples being fins - she has knee problems so when she started stiff fins were too much for her knees to take so splits were being used. Since then she has done a TON of gym work to strengthen them and stiff fins are no longer a problem. All the while having to listen to people preaching "you can't do tech in splits".

When people come in to a thread like this and start preaching that theirs is the only way (as has happened quite a few times), I can see her becoming frustrated.

We did a week of trimix diving. After the last day they did remove all the gas of the doubles because the price of the helium.

A buddy wants his set filled with nitrox. At home he noticed his isolator was closed. One tank was filled with oxygen and one tank was filled with nitrox.

You should always be careful when a isolator is closed. Just switching regulators when a isolator is closed can kill you. Or just open an isolator and just go diving can also kill you.

That should never even be a problem before you get on the boat - you absolutely positively test any tank of gas other than air. Do it at the shop so you can fix it if wrong and on the boat before you dive.

That’s a diver problem, not a doubles problem.

My take on this thread was that @Marie13 was trying to document her personal journey through to tech - all the while figuring out what works for her (which might not be what works for anyone else). She has been and still is figuring her own route. One of the best examples being fins - she has knee problems so when she started stiff fins were too much for her knees to take so splits were being used. Since then she has done a TON of gym work to strengthen them and stiff fins are no longer a problem. All the while having to listen to people preaching "you can't do tech in splits".

When people come in to a thread like this and start preaching that theirs is the only way (as has happened quite a few times), I can see her becoming frustrated.

N...

It's never been about anything having to do with ''tec''...recreational doubles...with the computer transmitter positioned on the first stage in a location where it is likely to be torn off...or a wireless transmitter period...regardless of where it's positioned is very far and removed from technical anything...

I dove tec configured recreational doubles for years...HP steel 100's/HP steel 80's...with dry-suit...no ballast ever...other than the weight of the tanks/canister light...two/three meters in the pool with any ballast is one thing...40 meters down with added ballast will leave her very negative...her ''tail weight''...will do nothing but physically hurt her...I've never seen any diver wearing ballast which is allowed to flail around loose...threaded through the rear of a crotch stap and stabalized with a keeper...or otherwise secured...maybe...but not like this...

Just me...no responses desired...I consider the above sound advice...not ghosting or trolling...

Better to read...ponder...and move-on without replying...I should follow my own advice...

There are far more posts than this thread ever deserved...most of which are miles off topic...to a point where she's receiving and testing out well intentioned...but unsound advice...

W...

I have mostly stayed away from this thread, reading new posts randomly when I was in the right mood. It struck me that I didn't know what to make of the thread--was the intent to have a normal discussion or was the intent to keep a blog? There are a number of "my journey into tech"-like blogs out there.

I just saw the tailweight post, and as I recall, my wife added a tailweight (though in the groove between the tanks, not dangling), and it helped with her trim greatly ... for all of about two or three dives. The next time we got in the water she discovered she had forgotten to bring the tailweight. Miraculously, her trim was good without the tailweight, and she hasn't used it since. The "training wheels effect"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom