Apeks Din O ring ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm having the same issue with a brand new one. Did you end up solving the problem?
Yeah just replaced them with the spares that are on the DIN caps. Mine must have been sitting around for a while with the caps screwed on tight which deformed them a bit. Just be aware that when you replace them they're not the standard size, they're 111s not 112s.

I'm having the same issue with a brand new one. Did you end up solving the problem?
His post #27 looks like using the spare on the dust cap solved his problem.
So what is it that is "brand new" that you are having trouble with? A new regulator, or a new o-ring? If a new o-ring, perhaps it is not the correct one.
And just in case... no chance you are removing the DIN screw while the system is still fully or partially pressurized, right? That will usually blow an o-ring out of the sealing face every time. And that could explain either scenario, new regulator and new o-ring. (I have some pool repair customers that constantly blow their yoke o-rings out that way. Same thing if you breathe a tank down to 200 or so PSI and then remove the 1st stage without bleeding that little bit of pressure.)

Not for nothing, but I’ve found much better success with polyurethane 112’s. I got the suggestion from Wayne at Amigos in Ft. White, FL, and I’ve since had it confirmed by both DGX and Deep 6, who both kindly gave me o-rings to swap out. My guess is that the DIN rings wold work the best, but it’s easier to get the PU 112’s. I went from the rings popping out two out of three times taking it off the tank to never in 11 months. (The frustrating thing for me is that mine were the factory o-rings: I think my knockoff regs use the Apeks DIN gland but 112 o-rings. Yay knockoffs!)

I’ve also given away rings to at least three Apeks divers in the last 6 months: this seems to be a common situation for us non-EU divers...

His post #27 looks like using the spare on the dust cap solved his problem.
So what is it that is "brand new" that you are having trouble with? A new regulator, or a new o-ring? If a new o-ring, perhaps it is not the correct one.
And just in case... no chance you are removing the DIN screw while the system is still fully or partially pressurized, right? That will usually blow an o-ring out of the sealing face every time. And that could explain either scenario, new regulator and new o-ring. (I have some pool repair customers that constantly blow their yoke o-rings out that way. Same thing if you breathe a tank down to 200 or so PSI and then remove the 1st stage without bleeding that little bit of pressure.)

It's a pair of brand new Tek 3 regulators I use with backmount doubles. But the issue is in only one of them. I do purge the pressure completely out of the system, but it still pops gently when I remove the first stage. Which is when the o-ring jumps out. I guess it could be some leftover pressure built around the damaged o-ring?

It's just odd that one of them works just fine even though they are exactly the same. Maybe the problematic one had been sitting around at the store for longer with the dust cap tightly screwed in?

Not for nothing, but I’ve found much better success with polyurethane 112’s. I got the suggestion from Wayne at Amigos in Ft. White, FL, and I’ve since had it confirmed by both DGX and Deep 6, who both kindly gave me o-rings to swap out. My guess is that the DIN rings wold work the best, but it’s easier to get the PU 112’s. I went from the rings popping out two out of three times taking it off the tank to never in 11 months. (The frustrating thing for me is that mine were the factory o-rings: I think my knockoff regs use the Apeks DIN gland but 112 o-rings. Yay knockoffs!)

I’ve also given away rings to at least three Apeks divers in the last 6 months: this seems to be a common situation for us non-EU divers...

What regulator model you have?

DGX by Deep6. But all three people that I gave O-rings to in the last few months have all had actual Apeks, and they all complained about the frustration of how often they lose their DIN O-ring.

Oddly enough, I have two illusion regs by DRIS. Never had their O-rings pop off. But if they do, I’m putting polyurethane’s on there! :)

It's a pair of brand new Tek 3 regulators I use with backmount doubles. But the issue is in only one of them. I do purge the pressure completely out of the system, but it still pops gently when I remove the first stage. Which is when the o-ring jumps out. I guess it could be some leftover pressure built around the damaged o-ring?

It's just odd that one of them works just fine even though they are exactly the same. Maybe the problematic one had been sitting around at the store for longer with the dust cap tightly screwed in?
Does the troublesome one by any chance have a nice thick rubber HP hose on it?
It can take a bit for that pressurized air to work its way back out of the hose once you think you purged the system. I have a friend that says he once got an extra breath or two in an OOA event thanks to the “reserve” in his HP hose.

Does the troublesome one by any chance have a nice thick rubber HP hose on it?
It can take a bit for that pressurized air to work its way back out of the hose once you think you purged the system. I have a friend that says he once got an extra breath or two in an OOA event thanks to the “reserve” in his HP hose.

It has a normal rubber hose with a swivel adapter. I'm not sure if it is "thick". The other second stage has one of those miflex hoses also with a swivel adapter. But that would make sense I guess. One of the times I was testing, I sucked the air out instead of purging. And it did not pop.

Here's an Apeks o-ring chart that I've found very helpful. Proprietary Apeks o-rings have been cross-referenced with standard-size o-rings. I service my own Apeks regs, and, in my limited experience, I've found the cross-referencing chart to be accurate.
Here is an updated link to a page for the referenced Apeks O-ring information, as the original link is no longer working (at least, not for me): Scuba Diving O-Rings - The Scuba Doctor. It also includes a link to a downloadable Apeks chart.

Back
Top Bottom