Making a steel dive computer - input needed!

Like it?

• Love it!

• Hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would very much like to see a Perdix styled computer scaled to a AAA battery. Material is immaterial to me.

Cup holders. :D

Keep your transfer protocol open so we can choose our dive log software.

Use an open deco model that allows for planning and verification.

Good luck!

Cup holders....... Eureka!

Thanks, this is why we are doing this, to get input like this. Regardng the display space, that will be comparable to the Garmin MK1, and the steel lines are not cosmetic, but to protect the screen.

I would think having a rechargeable battery is ok as long as it is user replaceable, in other words the owner does not need to send it in for replacement. The computer you show on display with the crown sticking out is a no go. If I was designing a computer I would have piezo push buttons either on the face or on the top. Air integration?

In a market that is pulling around 7 to 1000 dollars for a good quality dive computer retail, it would be nice if the price point would be lower to capture market value.

Last but not least is customer service. Stand by your product and keep the end user informed during repair/warranty work and firmware updates.

Would be nice if the computer had Bluetooth capability and a computer interface to download dive logs and data or charge cord usb download/upload capability.

Good luck

Glenn

Yes, bluetooth will be present (for dive logs, and perhaps settings. Re: battery, I think you have a good point.

A replaceable face plate or a removable screen protector. It looks more like you are going for a fashion item that lets women in bars know you will likely pay for drinks and leave a tip on the dresser in the morning, which is fine for the vacation diver market. You may want a more tech oriented version that is more function oriented (while still being stylish).

It looks more like you are going for a fashion item that lets women in bars know you will likely pay for drinks and leave a tip on the dresser in the morning.

You're supposed to leave a TIP ??!!!...............I feel bad now...

Slotted screws belong in the dustbin of history.

The screen to device size ratio isn't great.

The crown looks hideous, its going to jam into the back of your wrist at every opportunity, get seaweed collecting around it and if its supposed to be a control... well, its going to be hard to manipulate, especially if you have gloves on.

What's up with the handle thing on the left side?

More importantly, who is your target market? If you are looking for feedback you need to know roughly who you should be listening too. Otherwise you'll either end up building a Perdix (there might be a bit of a bias towards that here on SB!), or you'll end up building something that meets the needs of everyone, but no-one actually likes.

I have no idea how much of the market I might represent, but what I'm looking for is:
Durable.
Large clear screen (visible in sunlight)
Bluetooth
AA battery (rechargeable is nice, but I want to be able to swap out the battery if I've forgotten to charge it)
Wireless AI.
Lower price.

I don't particularly care about the algorithm, or about 'tech' features, if I ever end up doing that kind of diving I'll worry about that then.
I own a Sherwood Atmos Air, which (second hand) was the cheapest Wireless AI capable DC I was able to find.

PS, I work in product dev, so my feedback might be a little blunt.
Persona interviews and product market fit.

Take a look at Hammerglass for the screen, they're located in Förslöv (Båstad) and truly know their stuff.
Please don't go with slotted screws, torx is the way to go.
AA battery would be great.

Back
Top Bottom